Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

not improving vent and looking for advice

gabysibisangabysibisan Core Member
in General 46 karma

hello,

I'm just here to vent. I started seriously studying for the LSAT in july of this past summer and took a diagnostic and after months off and scored a 139 on the diagnostic. Looking at the analytics of that PT it was an overall more challenging PT so I guess it makes sense. But despite doing literally everything right I am not improving at all. I'm a Canadian student and our applications are due nov 1 and i plan to take the october LSAT next week. However, I'm averaging a 149/150 and the highest I've scored in a timed PT is a 152. In an untimed test highest I've scored is a 156. My GPA is already considered pretty low so if I want to get into any law school it's dependent on my LSAT score. My original goal was a 158 or best case scenario a 160. But it seems like it's just not in my potential. I was planning on rewriting in January too but I don't think that'll help me chances as I already pushed it from August to October because in August my PTs were 147, 146, and 152 I thought I could realistically improve to a 158. It seems as though I can't do any better than 150 and Idk what to do about it. I've decided to apply to 1 law school in Ontario that doesn't have a minimum LSAT or GPA but its just devastating accepting the fact that I won't do better than I am now so matter how much time I give myself. For context I only have 1 class a week to finish my undergraduate degree and only work part time 3 days a week so I dedicate 2-5 hours of studying a day on LSAT prep.

Considering this is the case, should I even bother to write it in January or apply to the 1 school I have in mind and accept I'll be going to a school I don't particularly want to go to? Or should I just give up on law school and leave it be?

Thanks

Comments

• ConnorC80ConnorC80 Core Member
    76 karma

Im also a Canadian student, id say push this LSAT to November the last day to register is tomorrow. Take it again in January if you must, that is my plan. Really try to focus on getting better at question types for the mean time. Use analytics to help figure out what question types you are getting wrong. Most Canadian schools medians are 160, so look to come close to that as best as possible. The November LSAT is 6 weeks away that gives you plenty of time to try to get there, even if that does not work out January gives you even more time to study. I spent 6 months last year studying for the January one and eventually lost 2 entire sections due to an anxiety attack at the start (which ive never had in my life), now im taking it again this year. The test is hard its supposed to take a long time to get good at, dont get too down on yourself just keep going at it. If you need any study advice Id be happy to help, my previous PT was 168 (174 untimed) and before that it was 160 (166 untimed), my post CC study plan which I got from 7sage has worked wonders.

• gabysibisangabysibisan Core Member
    46 karma

my only concern with pushing it again till november is a) that's another 400$ down the drain and ill have to pay another $400 to take the january one cuz we're past the refund date considering the oct lsat is next week. the other issue is that applications are due nov 1 and idk how it would affect me to apply without a score? would it be better to have no score on file than a bad one?

• gabysibisangabysibisan Core Member
    46 karma

my only concern with pushing it again till november is a) that's another 400$ down the drain and ill have to pay another $400 to take the january one cuz we're past the refund date considering the oct lsat is next week. the other issue is that applications are due nov 1 and idk how it would affect me to apply without a score?

• bellamichellelawbellamichellelaw Live Member
    1 karma

try to get the lsac fee waiver. they give it out a lot more than you think :)
    I know I am in the same exact boat as you with scores and how I am progressing and same time line even. So don't give up. I did register for the Feb. LSAT though...

• tjh361tjh361 Core Member
    18 karma

I used a book called The.. wait am I allowed to recommend books? If not the author is Mike Kim. The way it broke down certain question types turned them from weaknesses of mine to strengths. Then I was able to apply the logic/format learned to other question types.

This in conjunction with 7sage drilling and explanation videos I have went from 143 to 159 avg. in low 150s in about 2 months of studying perhaps 1-2 hours a day. I am a father of three, husband and have a full time job and currently enrolled in metaphysics and this is all the time I can afford to spend on it. I focused primarily on what I got wrong the most that also correlates with most common questions. My plan/hope is to get the majority of easy/medium questions correct and 30-40% of harder-hardest questions correct. This will have me scoring 150-160 and that is all I need.

Good luck! You will get there.