Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blind Review

goalis180goalis180 Alum Member
in General 531 karma
How extensive is your reasoning for eliminating wrong answer choices? Do you just write something small like "no evidence" "does the opposite of correct answer," or do you go deeper? I feel like I need to BR better sometimes I just feel like I cannot reach 100% certainty on questions when I am BR'ing.

Comments

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma
    It depends. If I was 50/50 between two choices, then I go pretty deep in eliminating the trap answer choice. If when I redo the problem during BR, I can still quickly and assuredly eliminate an answer choice, I don't think it's that necessary to analyze that answer choice more than how you do it.
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    Honestly, for nonsensical answer choices which are extremely out of scope or irrelevant, I just write up a few words describing what makes them stupid. For other answer choices which are traps or extremely convoluted, I try to dig in deeper to see why exactly it's wrong and what makes the correct answer choice a much better option.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @goalis180 said:
    Do you just write something small like "no evidence" "does the opposite of correct answer," or do you go deeper?
    Where going deeper is fruitful, yes.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    I think it's also really beneficial to try to explain wrong answer choices in terms of consistent patterns across all tests. That way you can be familiar with a lot of the wrong answer templates when you come across them and can anticipate which kinds of wrong answers appear most frequently on certain question types.
  • goalis180goalis180 Alum Member
    531 karma
    @c.janson35 interesting approach, has this worked for you where you started to see patterns? I do what everyone on here says, meaning I don't bother with out of scope, but sometimes some answers are so convoluted that I don't even know what it's trying to say.
  • badgalriribadgalriri Alum Member
    316 karma
    I actually had a question about BR too so I'll just throw it in here. I'm obviously doing BR wrong, because what happens is that I go through the questions and reaffirm my initial thought process. Sometimes, I'll realize I missed something, but usually I just feel even more confident with my wrong answer choices. I don't know if I'm blind (no pun intended) to my own thought processes but how do others overcome this!?
    7965 karma
    @c.janson35 said:
    I think it's also really beneficial to try to explain wrong answer choices in terms of consistent patterns across all tests.
    This tho
    7965 karma
    @goalis180 said:
    but sometimes some answers are so convoluted that I don't even know what it's trying to say.
    Methinks this is an example of where wrangling can be fruitful. Also BR calls are good for this kind of thing ... or at least the forums!
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited September 2015 7468 karma
    @badgalriri youre not doing it wrong. The blind review score is informing you that Your reasoning is deficient. The next step is to find out what fundamental process or skills you are lacking. For example, if you're getting most assumption family questions, you want to make sure you know how to pinpoint the gap or flaw in the argument before you go into the answer choices. If that's something that you're not doing, you now know that that's a skill that needs improvement. (If it acyually is that particular skill, I'd highly recommend LSAT Trainer). You have to analyze the reasons why you get BR questions wrong.

Also, it could just be your ego getting in the way. Try doing a BR with clean copy.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    @badgalriri said:
    I actually had a question about BR too so I'll just throw it in here. I'm obviously doing BR wrong, because what happens is that I go through the questions and reaffirm my initial thought process. Sometimes, I'll realize I missed something, but usually I just feel even more confident with my wrong answer choices. I don't know if I'm blind (no pun intended) to my own thought processes but how do others overcome this!?
    Clean copy or it's not really BR.
    531 karma
    @badgalriri def need to BR on a clean copy. @nicole.hopkins I want to do BR calls in the worst way, but im still on prep tests 19-28, which I don't think many people do as full PT's.
    7965 karma
    @goalis180 said:
    I want to do BR calls in the worst way, but im still on prep tests 19-28, which I don't think many people do as full PT's.
    What're you doing way down there? Come play in the 60's and 70's with us before we SHUT IT DOWN after the third week of Sept.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    So skip ahead... There's nothing saying you have to go in order, and in fact many of us prefer to skip around.
    531 karma
    I feel like my fundamental skills are lacking, and I wanna build them up before I start doing more recent tests.