Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sequencing Twist Games

ltownsjrltownsjr Alum Member
edited October 2015 in Logic Games 84 karma
I've looked at a several games in this type. Are there common inferences that we usually see in this set of categorized game? Most seem like rule driven games for the most part

Comments

• EmergingAttorney180EmergingAttorney180 Alum Member
    133 karma
    Hmm, when I think of sequencing games "with a twist" I usually think of double-layer sequencing games.

It's hard to say that a certain type of inference is going to appear in logic games consistently, but much of the difficulty in these types of games (as in all games, really) typically involves taking inventory of your game pieces correctly and trying to draw inferences from your rules. A double-layer sequencing game can often seem to have many possibilities, but once you start plugging pieces in on both levels things can narrow down quickly to only a few possibilities. Of course, like all logic games, this is not always true, but it's a good learning exercise to try when you practice.

• ltownsjrltownsjr Alum Member
    edited October 2015 84 karma
    I get everything you said, but the purpose of us grouping games into categories is so that we can see how certain game types are similar to each other, especially in terms of making the inferences....right?
  • EmergingAttorney180EmergingAttorney180 Alum Member
    edited October 2015 133 karma
    @ltownsjr said:
    I get everything you said, but the purpose of us grouping games into categories is so that we can see how certain game types are similar to each other, especially in terms of making the inferences....right?
    I wouldn't say that the purpose of grouping games into categories is for us to make rule-specific inferences for those types of games- though there may certainly be some nuances that you may pick up for certain types.

I'd say the most important point of our classification is to get a good understanding of the type of game board we need to be using, and how we can represent our pieces on that board. For many people, this amounts to an "Ah-ha!" moment while working through games. For example, you may stumble upon a game soon and say "This is a type of grouping game! I know how to diagram something like this!"

Of course, there will always be at least minor differences between game boards, even within certain game types. But the important takeaway is that you are able to identify, lets say a double-layer sequencing game as such, and be able to quickly and effectively begin to diagram your setup.
    edited October 2015 84 karma
    This is a comment left by Brna0174, a 7sage mentor. This illustrates my point. Almost everyone else who does games really well says the same...I hope he/she doesn't mind me quoting them, but this is at the core of my frustration with games at certain times " Consider sticking with one type of game until you've mastered it instead of doing full sections. You're trying to drill into your brain the idea that they're all essentially the same. "This is a double layer sequencing game. I've seen a million of these." The key is to see that the same types of games call for the same types of inferences.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    @ltownsjr said:
    The key is to see that the same types of games call for the same types of inferences.
    You're right. And she's right. Each game within each category is essentially the same. They're just genetic clones of one another. Regarding your original question, I've found that the inferences you make for sequencing games with a twist will be much the same as those you will need to make with sequencing games. Of course the major difference is the extra layer. This extra layer could involve parts that move on their own separate of the main sequencing layer or it could involve parts that are "bound" to the variables of the main sequencing line and move as they move. If you do enough of them, then you will definitely start to see the patterns emerging within that category. Your intuition will decide how you proceed after you diagram the setup and rules. Sometimes, you just can't flush out a lot of inferences while other times you'll be able to split the game board and find all possibilities. Unfortunately, I think this type of intuitive thinking is developed more from experience than from teaching. I don't know if this helps or not, but I think the most important thing is to remember what @brna0714 advised: Games within each category are essentially the same and nothing more than genetic clones of games of the past. Once you learn the proper set up and gain exposure to a large number of them, you're well on your way to mastering that category. Best of luck to you!
    84 karma
    Thanks GSU