Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT plans until December LSAT

LSATer8786LSATer8786 Member
edited October 2015 in General 9 karma
Hi, this is the first time writing anything on the board, so I'm a bit nervous, so bear with me.
I am preparing for December LSAT.
Last week, I have finished going through PTs until 70. And I would say I was averaging some bumps up and down occasionally from 163 to 166. I planned to go through from 51-73 twice until December LSAT ( a bit more than a month left).
I am taking two PTs every two days (of course BR afterward), and for the last 10 days, I am planning on taking two PTs everyday.
Yesterday, I've taken 59 and 60. So far, I am averaging about 170-ish, a couple 167+ and a couple 173+.
I am planning on taking fresh set of 71, 72, and 73 at the end of each cycle.

My question is:
How important is it to repeatedly practice already-taken-PTs?

I know that taking already-taken-PTs is useful in general and it's pretty much the only thing I can do right now, but when I get a good score on my second round, instead of being happy about it, I'm more skeptical of the score (but of course, I am happy). And when I get a poorer score, I'm just really distressed. From reading lots of posts, I know my schedule is probably something nobody would recommend, but since I am not attacking any new PTs, I get constantly nervous on whether my logic foundation is improving or not through these second round PTs. Although I do try going through every single question as thoroughly as possible as if I'm doing the new test, I constantly doubt if I was solving it out of my logic ability or from a bit of memory left in me. Consequently, I just decided to keep myself busy by keep doing PTs non-stop, so that at least I wouldn't have any regret afterward as to "I could have done A and B and blah blah~"

I know about the burn-out as well. I recently got out of it about a month ago, but I still feel like I would have some regret if I don't really try my 200%. If you ask me whether this plan has been exhausting for me or not, I would say there is exhaustion after going through 8 sections every two days, but it's pretty manageable until now. Add to that, I would say mental exhaustion from doing 8 sections every two days would feel more manageable than anxiety from not studying (although I haven't experienced it yet).

So, I just need a bit of advice on how effective it would be for me to keep following this plan. Or, any advice.

Comments

• GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    @LSATer8786 said:
    this is the first time writing anything on the board, so I'm a bit nervous, so bear with me.
    No need to be nervous. We're like a family committed to helping each other through this process. That's not to say that people won't be blunt if need be, but I digress.

@LSATer8786 said:
    I am planning on taking two PTs everyday
    I struggle to think of anyone on here that will agree with this. The most important aspect of the PT phase isn't the taking of the PT itself, its the thorough BR afterwards. You should be circling the questions during the test that you aren't 100% sure of why the wrong answers are wrong and right answers are right. After you finish, the BR should take place on a clean copy of the test in order for you to humble yourself and not engage in a fight to change the answers. For the questions you circled, get to core of the argument and develop a deep understanding of it. Explain to yourself WHY the wrong answers are wrong and correct answer is indeed correct. The greatest learning gains will take place during this BR process. Taking test after test will not improve you unless you are thoroughly reviewing each one. It's like continuously going to the doctor for the same sickness and not taking the medicine he/she gives you. You're not getting anywhere and you're not getting better. I don't know what other responsibilities you have, but 2-3 PTs max is all I would recommend a week.
    @LSATer8786 said:
    I am planning on taking fresh set of 71, 72, and 73 at the end of each cycle
    Good plan. The more recent ones are better towards the end. Don't forget about 74 and 75. Don't forget to do a great BR with these as well!

@LSATer8786 said:
    I just decided to keep myself busy by keep doing PTs non-stop
    I venture to say this will end up being counter-productive in the long run. As I said before, the most important part of the process is Blind Review. This is more true now since you only have 5 or so recent tests to fall back on as fresh takes.

What is your overall section breakdown for LG, LR and RC? At this point, I would most definitely slow up on the PT's. I would embrace the axiom of quality over quantity. Save the remaining fresh takes for the 2-3 weeks prior to go time. Address your deficiencies by drilling some questions from that type and see how that translates to the PTs. Hit someone up on here if you don't understand the Blind Review process and we will be happy to explain it further. Best of luck.
  • Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
    1049 karma
    I get why people worry about retakes.

1) take them with a grain of salt. They still are good for practice and I'm sure there are questions you still haven't mastered in BR

2) Maybe lessen the time a but ie 32 min a section or something like that to compensate.
  • LSATer8786LSATer8786 Member
    edited October 2015 9 karma
    @"GSU Hopeful" said:
    I would embrace the axiom of quality over quantity.
    After reading the comment, I feel like I decided to "keep myself busy" by keep taking PTs, because I didn't know what else I should be doing and I was focusing "quantity" over "quality." I shouldn't be focusing on how many I finish in a given amount of time, but take as much time as I need to completely master BRs. However many I can get my hands on should not be important as long as I do a thorough job BRing.

Thank you.
    @"Quick Silver" said:
    I get why people worry about retakes.

1) take them with a grain of salt. They still are good for practice and I'm sure there are questions you still haven't mastered in BR
    I needed to hear from Mentors or Tutors. Thank you.