Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

improvement suggestions needed!

laestelle2009laestelle2009 Alum Member
edited March 2014 in June 2014 LSAT 96 karma
taking the june 2014 LSAT, hoping for a 161. first untimed score was 143. seeing a lot of people saying it took them a year to go from the 140's to the 170's, which is freaking me out. I'm thinking maybe these people had time to study for a year. should I be banking on taking the October LSAT too? or do I need to calm down and start studying 30 hours a week?

Comments

• LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Everyone is different. It does not need to take a year to reach 170.

If you're just starting, the cold diagnostic is meaningful, but what really counts is how well you can learn the LSAT logic and techniques.

Don't look towards doing what everyone else is doing. Each person has their own schedule and issues to deal with. Develop a studying approach that fits your life and schedule; try to study as much as you can without tiring yourself out.

Shoot for the June test. You'll see your scores on your practice tests and that will reflect your official score, give or take a few points. If by June you are not at all near your goal, you can defer to October. Otherwise, the October test can always be there for a retake.

Don't focus too much on what standard guidelines dictate. Jump in to the prep and work in a way that suits you. You should see your score have a big jump at the beginning as you learn the basics of the LSAT and then a gradual improvement as you get better and better.
  • ArchiebootsArchieboots Alum Member
    155 karma
    Exactly what LSATisland said. If I may add also - emphasize on quality over quantity when it comes to studying. There is still time to make improvements until June.
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    Well said Torah! Like.
  • ONuellaOONuellaO Alum Member
    210 karma
    I went from a 148 to 157 in a month. In that month, i also learnt all the techniques from scratch, so do not fret. Like the guys above said, quality is KEY. Good results will come with practice.
  • Nancy123Nancy123 Free Trial Member
    20 karma
    ONuellaO could you please share what strategy did you in that month?
  • Ro.valdezRo.valdez Free Trial Member
    18 karma
    Learn to love the exam. Challenge yourself to do your best every time you do a timed practice test! Developing you skills under test like conditions is key! Aim for accuracy over speed first, and then move towards ouushing yourself to your max during a pt. you brain needs to be a high functioning and vicious machine.