Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Take in February or wait till June

in General 82 karma
Hi 7sagers,
I need some advice. I've taken the LSAT twice (October, December) and have scored the same score twice (149.. I know, I'm so embarrassed). The first time I was completely unprepared for logic games, so I missed most of my questions in that section, and then the second time, despite feeling more confident on logic games, I suffered from horrible test anxiety the day of the test and actually FROZE for about 6 minutes after reading the first reading comprehension passage and then scrambled to answer the questions hoping it was the experimental section (which it wasn't). I'd been scoring in the high 150s but was mortified to get the exact same horrible score as in October. Anyway.. now, I'm not so sure what to do. I'm 24 and was hoping to start law school next year, but now I don't know if I should try to study for the February LSAT (I've registered for it but am considering withdrawing) or to wait and retake it in June. I'm not trying to get into any great schools, I was just shooting for around a high 150, so I don't know if it's realistic for me to improve if I get my anxiety in check or if I should just wait until June. I'm really scared that I'll mess up again in February and then have to wait 2 more years to retake. I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed, discouraged, and with low confidence, and I'm just having trouble deciding what to do. Any input or similar stories would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• 82 karma
    Also- I'm able to take this month off so if I'd be able to study everyday until the February exam
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I'd say withdraw Feb and set your sights on June or October. You need to give yourself enough time to really understand the concepts in play and also work on some better game day strategies that won't lead to similar situations again. You're very young so just wait and take the test when you're ready, not just when the next administration is.
  • hlsat180hlsat180 Free Trial Member
    edited January 2016 362 karma
    I agree with Pacifico's advice, but specifically recommend October. June would be acceptable only if you could retake later; but being your third retake this must absolutely count. October allows more preparation time without delaying early admission applications.

Confidence is an issue, but also a symptom: Confidence requires Understanding, which requires Preparation. Therefore, preparing for a higher score, say 160+ consistently in your PTs, will improve your confidence test day. As a rough scale, 160+ demonstrates understanding of why an answer is right; 170+ an understanding why the other answers are wrong. Also, be as rigorous or more so with your practice test conditions so that the actual test conditions do not seem any harder.

Hope this helps.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    Unequivocally withdraw and begin serious preparation for June. YOU GOT THIS! Join the BR groups!!
  • 82 karma
    Thanks so much for the advice guys!
  • 82 karma
    Took the advice and am withdrawing today and setting my sights for June. Thanks so much for the support and insightful advice. I'm honestly so thankful for this 7sage community!