Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Main point of argument

Sargon ASargon A Alum Member
While working on main point of argument i noticed that some do not have conclusion indicators but i might see counter premise indicators (However is one that i see) i noticed in some videos that but was also a indicator.. are there any videos or can anyone on here help explain what to do when you comes across these types of words.

Thanks!

Comments

• MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    There are a few. However, if you're looking for indicator words, look under "Introduction to Arguments." It should be the second lesson category.
    https://7sage.com/lesson/3-ways-to-identify-premises-conclusions
    Click the link and scroll down. There's a relatively long list - not exhaustive, but it esentially covers most of the terms that the LSAT writers like to use to indicate a conclusion or premise.

One thing to bear in mind for MP/MC questions, they often won't use indicator words to point out the conclusion. And, when they do, those indicator words usually point you towards the sub conclusion. The best way to find a main conclusion is to find the statement/sentence that the author is ultimately trying to convince you to believe. Ask yourself, "why should I believe that XYZ?" Then see if the other sentences answer your question. Then ask, "is XYZ evidence of any other statement that the author has put forth?" If not, you've probably found the MP/MC.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Yep to echo on @MrSamlam Use the "Why, Because" test. Why X, because Y. X Is the Conclusion, Y the premise. I also like to use the "Therefore" test, its basically the same, just works better for the way I think Y, therefore X. X is the conclusion or MP.

You try both statements in either spot and the one that supports the other is they MP. The LSAT writers know we love indicators, and I think (especially in the 70+) tests, you find a lack of them or as @MrSamIam shared they point to sub conclusions to mislead us.