Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does yield protecting work?

Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
in General 893 karma
How exactly does yield protecting work? Is it just a case of a particular school encouraging applications from people that they know will have no chance of being accepted? Or, do they somehow use the waitlist to jiggle the numbers? I just saw some videos where even the highest ranked schools are encouraging applications very late in the cycle. Which schools are known to yield protect the most? Thanks.

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    that isnt YP, YP is dinging someone overqualified for the school. For Instance, say you have a 178/3.9 there is a good chance you will get rejected from T20-30 potentially even the upper T14. It is because they dont want to accept you knowing you will most likely not attend. The numbers schools care about are the amount of people that apply but they reject and the amount of people who they accept and do attend. So accepting people they know will not attend messes with that and so they reject, which is called yield protecting(YP)
    not sure if there is a term for their wanting more people to apply for them to reject
  • Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    edited March 2016 893 karma
    I see. So, if you have won an Olympic gold medal, a Rhodes, are a Navy SEAL, have a 4.0, and 179 you actually may not get accepted at say, NYU, with the thinking that you are likely to get HYS and will take one of those?
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    edited March 2016 6866 karma
    NYU probably won't make that decision. Most T14 schools will probably try and go after a candidate with that kind of profile instead of just giving up. But a school like, say, Brooklyn Law or Fordham might decide not to. Think 'true' safety schools moreso than just 5-6 ranks down.

It's pretty comical when it happens to you, really, and a lot of times they don't even try to hide it. I personally got accepted to a T14 on the same day as a mid-ranked California school that shall remain nameless waitlisted me, with a handwritten note telling me to call them if I actually wanted to go to their school. It seemed rather low to me, honestly. At least the other California schools I applied to actually made an effort.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Yeah I saw a guy the other day get accepted to Stanford and rejected at UT Austin. That was the most egregious example I saw this cycle.