Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT based on Testing Center Setup?

Fish0701Fish0701 Member
in General 133 karma
This may seem like an overly anxious question, but I was wondering if people take their practice tests in the same way they expect to be taking it on test day? I just realized I will be taking the LSAT this June in a large auditorium, with those tiny desks (the ones where you can't fit both the test and answer sheet completely on it at the same time), compared to the testing center I took the test in last time in which I had an abundant amount of room to spread out the test booklet and the answer sheet. I honestly never took "bubbling strategies" too seriously, but now I'm starting to think I may need to develop a bubbling strategy that caters to not having the answer sheet available on the desk to bubble in at any time. Any thoughts or strategy tips would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    I'm also interested in what people have to say about this. Especially strategies for dealing with not being able to have the test and bubble sheet side by side
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27853 karma
    Well, you should definitely not bubble question by question. Do all the questions in a spread and then bubble everything together before turning the page. You shouldn’t have people near you, so hopefully you can use the desk next to you in addition to your own to hold your answer sheet while you’re working in the booklet so you can have quick access.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    edited March 2016 3197 karma
    @"Can’t Get Right" said:
    You shouldn’t have people near you, so hopefully you can use the desk next to you in addition to your own to hold your answer sheet while you’re working in the booklet so you can have quick access
    From my personal experience, I wouldn't count on that. At my test center we sat elbow to elbow, so there wasnt a lot of room, even though we had large tables. Plus I dont think a proctor would allow you to spread out, even if the desk next to you was available, but I havent been in that situation.
    @Fish0701 said:
    I just realized I will be taking the LSAT this June in a large auditorium, with those tiny desks (the ones where you can't fit both the test and answer sheet completely on it at the same time),
    The great thing, is that you can prepare for your test center. Practice taking the test on one of those desks, or at least in the same amount of space, every time you practice.

Many people suggest folding the test, so you can have the answer sheet visible along with the booklet.

Using this technique many people bubble in whatever is on that page and then flip their books to the next side as Cant describes.
    @"Can’t Get Right" said:
    Do all the questions in a spread and then bubble everything together before turning the page.
    This works very well for LR. Some people use this technique regardless of table size, as many feel that it eliminated bubble time and reduces the risk of a bubbling error.
    @Fish0701 said:
    'm starting to think I may need to develop a bubbling strategy that caters to not having the answer sheet available on the desk to bubble in at any time.
    Yes, you should start practicing this way, or in some other way that works for you so you will be ready for it on test day!

Some people bubble all of the RC and LG passages/games at once too, but the bubble upon flip seems to be the most embraced alternative to bubbling after every question.

You also might want to adjust how you play the games, especially if you are going to need to fold your test booklet. Doing your diagrams on the 2nd page vs the 1st can help eliminate the need to flip back and forth once you are into the bulk of the questions. Some people really like doing it this way, while others choose to do the main diagram on the first page.

Really at this point, its all about practicing and finding the right method for yourself.

You are already so far ahead of the game, because you are preparing for your testing center conditions, so it wont throw you on test day!
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @Fish0701 said:
    I just realized I will be taking the LSAT this June in a large auditorium, with those tiny desks (the ones where you can't fit both the test and answer sheet completely on it at the same time), compared to the testing center I took the test in last time in which I had an abundant amount of room to spread out the test booklet and the answer sheet.
    Yikes—my first piece of advice is to change to a different testing center. Seriously—check out our Test Center Reviews section in the forum and see if there is anything within a ~2-3 hour drive and get yourself a hotel room near the testing center. This is what I did for my last 2 takes since my alternative was a HORRIBLE testing center, albeit 5 minutes from home. $100-150 on a nice hotel room is WORTH IT for a nice testing center.

Invest in a better testing center. I believe it's super important.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    There's some psychology behind it, so yes I tend simulate real testing conditions as best I can. The ideas is to prepare your mind and body for what is to come. If you're going to be taking it in a large auditorium where having few students in the room will cause an amplification in sound, due to echoing, then be prepared to deal with that.
    You want to reduce novelty as best you can.

I agree with @"Nicole Hopkins" . When I first registered, I called the testing site and asked for the layout. Fortunately I found a testing center with large desks and one space in between each student.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @MrSamIam said:
    I agree with @"Nicole Hopkins" . When I first registered, I called the testing site and asked for the layout. Fortunately I found a testing center with large desks and one space in between each student.
    Agreed, and I know this wont help you as you've already picked the site, but if you can switch, and for others that are reading this thread, I have this tip.

Before you book your test center, check to make sure it is available and then add it to your cart on the LSAC site, but don't check out. You then have 24 hours to visit the testing center. Do your visit and then book the center if you liked it. I made the mistake of confirming my centers availability in the morning, touring the center I wanted and when I left the tour to book, the last seat was gone! Had I added it to my cart before I left, I would have been able to check out after the tour.

I should let you know the 24 hour option is only available if you are doing this before the normal registration deadline. Once you're in the "late" registration time period you only get to have a seat in your cart for 1 hour.