Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help with planning PT's

KevinSageKevinSage Alum Member
in General 260 karma
So I'm going to have ~22 weeks to take PTs after I finish the curriculum this week. I want to take a reasonable amount of PTs, yet not over do it like how I did the last time I studied for this test (took December 2015 LSAT); I took 3 PTs a week, with crappy BR to follow and basically no time at all for drilling. I'd like to change that this time around. With that said, I have 10 fresh PTs (several in the 50's, 60's, and 70's) but also plan on re-taking other PTs. Here are my questions:
How should I go about planning my PTs? Should I start off with 1 PT per week then move on to 2 per week?
What PT # should I start at? Start from PT 41 and work my way up?

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    @KevinSage said:
    I took 3 PTs a week, with crappy BR to follow and basically no time at all for drilling. I'd like to change that this time around.
    I think this is really the most important thing. I burned a lot of tests for previous takes as well and that’s been something I’ve been really concerned with. I didn’t even manage a crappy BR, I just checked incorrect answers and moved on as quickly as I could. My how things change! If you’re anything like me, you didn’t benefit much from those tests. For me, they were diagnostics instead of learning opportunities. I expect my retakes to be only marginally less beneficial than fresh takes, if that even. Your clean tests are definitely a little extra special, but if your BR was even half as bad as mine, I wouldn’t worry too much about having lost significant value on those you’ve already taken. I’m planning to mix in my fresh takes throughout my PTs, but definitely with a higher concentration going into endgame, with an even higher priority on late 60s and 70s series.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    For me, they were diagnostics instead of learning opportunities.
    YES
  • KevinSageKevinSage Alum Member
    edited April 2016 260 karma
    For a chunk of the PTs I took, I recall doing what you did: just checking my incorrect answers and moving on.. So I guess they'll still look kinda new. Which is good lol...

You hit the nail on the head with the diagnostics/learning opportunities comment. I just wanted to see my grade then move on without actually learning why I got things wrong.

I suppose that I should take 1 PT a week, then move on to 2 a week when I'm a bit more comfortable.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    @KevinSage said:
    Which is good lol...
    Ha! In a funny way it kind of is. Of course, I wish I’d done it right the first time, but at least it didn’t seriously hobble me now that I’m really invested in doing it right. I basically did everything wrong for my first two takes, but failing to engage with the BR process, and properly, was by far the worst. I’m always paranoid that people think they’re doing it but either aren’t or are half assing it. It’s a hard process and it takes discipline to do properly, so it’s really tempting to cut corners. Got to stay strong in BR!
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    edited April 2016 2086 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Couldn't agree more! Don't use your PTs solely as a score improving mechanism. Instead, use them to determine your weaknesses, then address those weaknesses by drilling.
    Regarding a schedule, you want to focus more on your BR. A PT is simply that, a PT, it's a ~4 hour practice test, no ifs, ands, or buts. You take the PT, and that's it. The real learning experience is in the BR. That is what will make or break you. Focus most of your time on BR.
    Here is what my schedule will look like for BRing:
    Monday: Take PT --> Take a 30 minute break --> Start to BR at least the LG section(s)
    Tuesday: BR the rest of the test
    Wednesday: Drill weaknesses from last BR
    Thursday: PT --> 30 minute break --> BR at least LG
    Friday: BR rest of the test
    Saturday: Drill weaknesses from last BR
    Sunday: RELAX!!! Or, light drilling...

Note: This is subject to change...it's just a tentative schedule until we figure out the September BR group.