Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

book recommendations for pushing it to the next level with LR and RC?

kaila67hkaila67h Free Trial Member
in General 52 karma
I consistently PT high 160s-low 170s and am aiming to score 175+ on June LSAT. I've already been through all of the powerscore books. I feel very solid on LG (usually get -0 or -1) thanks to 7sage and lots of practice but I struggle with RC and LR. I want to perform as well on those sections as I do on LG. I'm considering purchasing the Manhattan LR and RC and/or LSAT Trainer. Recommendations/advice for someone trying to master LR and RC? Thanks!!!!

Comments

• allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    Get the Trainer!! Mike Kim's approach to flaws will probably help you. Unfortunately, I think these sections are less controllable in terms of consistency of scores than LG is, but you can still improve. Otherwise, read The Economist (articles will be better prep than books), and do as many PTs as you can (obviously). On LR, are you skipping and pushing yourself to go as fast as possible so you have sufficient time to come back to the curve breaker questions at the end of the section?
    Also check out this thread for tips that have helped others improve: https://7sage.com/discussion#/discussion/7239/reading-comp-best-practices-for-improvement
  • kaila67hkaila67h Free Trial Member
    52 karma
    thanks!! =)
  • only3monthsonly3months Member
    13 karma
    How much are you typically missing on LR? LSATHacks has some free explanations that might be helpful
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    I really liked the Manhattan RC. Plus reading for the questions helps a lot. After everything I read that is more than 200-400 words I always think: What was the tone of this? What was the Authors main point... things like that. Thinking in LSAT terms for anything I read of substance really seems to help.
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    13940 karma
    Hey I know you asked for book recs, but just in case you didn't know, we also have a great LR and RC curriculum.
  • notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
    1049 karma
    Agreed with JY's statement above. I am still going through the LR curriculum but I definitely see an improvement in my LR solving skills.

I started with 7Sage last year, but quickly gave up due to some life issue. In the meantime, I stupidly wasted my time on researching for the best books on LSAT. However, lots of people pointed to 7Sage and I came right back to it. Now, going through the curriculum, I easily recognize why these people recommended 7Sage.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Yeah, I've done Powerscore and it was okay for some of the rougher grunt work, but for the fine tuning and polishing, it's not going to get you there. I'm all about some 7Sage. Transitioning from the books to 7Sage kind of revolutionized my prep. My average PT score since finishing the 7Sage curriculum is 10 points higher than my previous tests. And I'd studied with books for about 8 months prior, so I feel like I gave them adequate time to work for me before switching.
  • kaila67hkaila67h Free Trial Member
    52 karma
    thanks for the advice everyone!
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @"J.Y. Ping" I smell a bias!
    Joking. In all seriousness, after trying 3 other prep companies, 7Sage's curriculum is ultimately what helped me. The Trainer by Mike Kim is a great supplement to the course. I believe he recently released his 2016 Trainer. Not sure if anything has changed, but, I figured I would mention it.