Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions... Help?

chelsLSATchelsLSAT Alum Member
in General 57 karma
Hey everyone,

I've been on and off the 7Sage course for a while and am currently taking a live in person course near where I live and supplementing with 7Sage. I am scheduled to write in June.

I work 2 jobs basically equaling full time and am dealing with mental health problems and being properly medicated... So needless to say it's been hectic.

I've done a few PTs, my accuracy in LG is 90% but everywhere else I'm bombing it. My PT score is bouncing around 147-149 - I want to be in the high 150's or even 160.

Anyways, here comes the curve ball... My parents would kick my rear end if I changed my test date, only cause I live at home still and well, you know how that goes.... So I'm going to be essentially wasting away this LSAT chance. I keep telling them I'm not ready but noopeeeee I get the "you're 25, get your life together" talk.

I know a lot of you will say, postpone your test date! But I don't feel as if I have an option without causing family conflict. So, say I bomb this June test, when should I realistically plan to take the LSAT again? I'm thinking December to be properly prepared- but any advice welcome!

How do some of you do it? Balance everything, with prepping for this test?

Thanks so much.
Chels

Comments

• amipp_93amipp_93 Alum Member
    585 karma
    You always have an option. And you don't want to hear this but postpone to Dec. Its another 6 months...the family conflict thats going to be created due to pushing another 6 months vs you getting the score you're getting right now for june and being frustrated with it. Id sign up for the extra family conflict and not trying be rude, but they can get over it and they'll be more accepting of the situation when in dec you get your target score.

You're only 25! think of it that way, law school isn't sinking. Why settle for mediocre???
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @amipp170 said:
    Id sign up for the extra family conflict and not trying be rude, but they can get over it and they'll be more accepting of the situation when in dec you get your target score.
    Amen.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    If you're worried about it, just don't tell them. Withdraw, then on test day go see a couple of movies or something. When you get home tell them you bombed it and you'll take again in December.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    Withdraw, then on test day go see a couple of movies or something. When you get home tell them you bombed it and you'll take again in December.
    GENIUS.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    I was thinking the same as @"Cant Get Right"! How are they gonna know??! They don't even know that you shouldn't be taking this test if you're not prepared!
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    Even though I'm not in the same situation as yourself, I'm constantly asked about my personal choice to postpone the test. Even worse, I'm frequently urged to "just take it" instead of wait for a score I know I can achieve. Had I taken others' advice, my score would have been twenty points or so lower than what it could be come test day.

Not only will you be wasting a crack at the LSAT, you'll inevitably add pressure to subsequent attempts. I wish your parents could see input from others who know the market for lawyers, understand the weight of the LSAT and what certain scores can do/not do for you. Advocating to take this test without proper readiness is ludicrous.

I eventually told dissenters they simply knew nothing about the LSAT, the application process for law school, or anything else related. This advice is probably worthless if your parents aren't open to siding with you on this, but showing them the meaning behind the numbers as well as your gradual improvement (evidence that continued studying isn't worthless) is hard to shut down.

Unless your parents are going to kick you out, I'm with the consensus here. If family conflict means "only" what it seems to mean, I would do what you know you need to do. Improvement on the LSAT can be life-changing, if only by opening up new doors and/or taking 5-10 years off of student loan payments. The LSAT isn't everything, but it's certainly a big deal.
  • chelsLSATchelsLSAT Alum Member
    57 karma
    Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for your replies.

@danielznelson - Thank you. I am in the same boat as I am urged to "just take it" as well and those who say that merely use the reasoning that by just taking it, I can assess my anxiety levels and use it as a gauge for how the next test is going to go. I highly agree with you and everyone else in that it will be better to post pone. I have already postponed taking the test from last year however I was never even registered with LSAC, I was just saying that I was going to take it but never registered as I wasn't ready.

I will postpone until December 2016 and use this thread as reasoning.

This will allow me to go through the 7Sage program, while re-taking my live course (it's free re-takes!) along with taking and BR-ing PT's.

Thank you again.