Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Improving score RC

juneby01juneby01 Free Trial Member
Any advice on how to improve score on RC questions?

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    RC is tough to improve. It's one of those skills that is accumulated over the entire course of your life and education. I always recommend do a lot of reading in general. Read GoT or something fun. It helps your brain learn how to absorb itself in what you're reading. Obviously that doesn't take the place of studying at all, but readers will generally outperform non-readers in RC. So be a reader.

Like in LG, invest time up front so that you can burn through the questions. Don't feel like you have to rush the passage under time pressure. I can read an average passage in two minutes flat; but under time, I usually spend closer to five on it before moving on to the questions. So relax and pause at the end of each paragraph to think about what you've just read. Project forwards and think about what you can expect to read next. Take a moment if there's a shift you didn't see coming that you're not entirely sure about.

When you get to the questions, trust in your reading and try not to spend time returning to the passage to confirm something you're reasonably confident about. If there's a line citation then glance back, but other than that your goal should be to not return to the passage. If you have no idea how to answer a question then you've got to do what you've got to do, but understand that that represents a weakness in your initial reading. In BR, try to identify why you didn't grasp it the first time around.
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    RC is difficult to improve, but as ESL I can tell you it is possible but you need to be patient. One thing that helped me a lot was getting really familiar with RC question types. There is a webinar on the subject I put the link below. Please share any techniques that you find helpful with us :)
    https://7sage.com/webinar/jimmy-rc-qt/
  • juneby01juneby01 Free Trial Member
    45 karma
    Thank you for your advice
  • citizenkanyecitizenkanye Member
    74 karma
    What really helped me in RC was finding a notation system that works for me. Often I'd underline bits and pieces of the passage but of course forget where crucial information was located by the time I arrived at the questions. But finding and adapting a notation strategy (one without clutter, confusing symbols, etc) has been bringing really great improvements to my score. I suggest you check out various RC notation methods and pick up any notations that seem intuitive to you.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    100% agree @citizenkanye . This is huge.