Not entirely ready -- still take or withdraw?

hrc.811213hrc.811213 Free Trial Member
edited June 2016 in June 2016 LSAT 4 karma
Hi, I need some advice about whether to take the June 2016 LSAT (not in the US). As for my current range, I could hit a desired score with a bit of luck, but I would fall short by 1-3 points (or more) under normal circumstances. The test is in 10 days.

In this case, would it still be better to take the June LSAT as a "trial run" so that I will be less anxious and be more comfortable with testing conditions in September? Or should I just take the test in September when I feel ready?

I know schools don't view cancellations as negatively as they used to before, and I don't plan to take the test more than three times so wasting one take would not be so bad, but still I guess it would be ideal to have just one score on the record...

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited June 2016 11542 karma
    If you know you can score better with just a little more practice I say delay until you're fully confident in your performance. I learned the hard way that your best bet is to sign up for the exam when you've mastered the curriculum and are satisfied with your performance thus far. NOT sign up for the exam and give yourself that alloted time to practice for it.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @montahar said:
    I learned the hard way that your best bet is to sign up for the exam when you've mastered the curriculum and are satisfied with your performance thus far. NOT sign up for the exam and give yourself that alloted time to practice for it.
    This thread need not progress any further. This advice is solid!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    Without reading anything but the title, withdraw.
    27822 karma
    Having read everything else:

First, you will not be less anxious and more comfortable on your second take. Quite the opposite. The first take is as good as it gets because you know you've got two safety nets if things don't work out. You do not become more comfortable by removing safety nets.

If you don't feel ready, you really should delay. If you think you'll need a bit of luck, you should delay. That said, if you're only a point or two below your target score, you might be selling yourself a little short.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @hrc.811213 said:
    would it still be better to take the June LSAT as a "trial run" so that I will be less anxious and be more comfortable with testing conditions in September?
    NO—you will likely be even more anxious due to having experienced the test unprepared the first time.
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    Without reading anything but the title, withdraw.
    LOL amen this is current favorite 7sage comment ever rly.
  • cmelman95cmelman95 Alum Member
    730 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    First, you will not be less anxious and more comfortable on your second take. Quite the opposite. The first take is as good as it gets because you know you've got two safety nets if things don't work out. You do not become more comfortable by removing safety nets.
    That right there is why this site lives up to its name. That's some sage shit man. This dude gets it.
    27822 karma
    Lol, if I get anything it’s because I’ve made every mistake there is except wasting the third take. Learn from my mistakes 7Sagers!
    4344 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    Lol, if I get anything it’s because I’ve made every mistake there is except wasting the third take. Learn from my mistakes 7Sagers!
    I was actually waaaaaay more chill on the third take than the others. Maybe it was my essential oils? Insert causation logic joke/snark here.
    27822 karma
    Lol. I suspect I will be too actually. I’m not going in there unless I know I’m ready and have nothing to worry about. Will definitely get some of those essential oils though, you know, just in case.
    4344 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    I’m not going in there unless I know I’m ready and have nothing to worry about.
    LOL uh well it wasn't so much that sort of thing. There's no, like, "final stage" of LSAT prep. There is always a sense in which there's something you could improve. It's just a question of whether it's necessary or worthwhile (or possible?) to go ahead and improve it.
    27822 karma
    Spoken like a true LSAT master @"Nicole Hopkins” , haha! Okay, how’s this: I’m not going in there unless I am confident my level of readiness is sufficient to be able to reasonably expect my actual score to fall within my target range under normal test taking conditions.
    4344 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    I’m not going in there unless I am confident my level of readiness is sufficient to be able to reasonably expect my actual score to fall within my target range under normal test taking conditions.
    I mean, just take it in September I think :D
  • 342 karma
    I love you guys, I have to read the forums after I study for a few hours, because it makes me feel better. @hrc.811213 I am too new to offer any advice but whatever you choose to do, good luck!