Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Achieving Consistency

Darth JuristDarth Jurist Member
in General 453 karma
Hello 7Sage world!

Need some advice. So, I have taken 10 PTs up to this point. Scores are all over the place, but I am definitely seeing progress. I am wondering, how does one become consistent with their scoring?

My scores are as follows:

Actual/BR
Pre-7Sage
142/No BR
148/158

Post-7Sage Curriculum
146/159
142/158
143/155
147/162
150/160
146/156
159/175

and then today's score of 148/170....

On days I score well I definitely feel like things click, but on other days when it's not going well, I feel like I am trying to transcribe Portuguese in Chinese.

I am a full time student, so I have only been studying when schedule permits, usually around 10-20 hours per week. I have been going at this for about six months. I just felt so shitty after today's result. I feel like I have a hard time staying in the LSAT "zone".

Has anyone else ever had issues similar to mine? I really need some motivation, today felt like a swift kick right where the sun doesn't shine. ='(

Comments

• Admiral YummyAdmiral Yummy Member
    116 karma
    Hey @"Darth Jurist" hang in there - you're going to get it. Do you know which areas you need to improve on? If it's logic games, you can really improve your score if you foolproof the heck out of all of the games provided in the core curriculum and the ones you encountered in your prep tests. If it's LR, let the easy questions be easy and don't dwell on the questions for too long. I used to get stuck on questions and I'd spend too much time thinking about them, now I just skip 'em and come back to to 'em. I'm still working on RC, so I'll leave that section to the other 7sagers to comment on, but keep at it and learn from your mistakes - you've got this. image
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    @"Darth Jurist" you didn't mention which PTs they were, I remember going from the 50's or 60's to the 70's initially would produce some inconsistent scores for me, but again w/only 10 you are still pretty rely on in the process.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27866 karma
    That trend actually looks really positive to me. Don’t worry too much about your timed scores for now. The BR scores are the ones that really reflect your underlying understanding, and breaking into the 170s on your BR is a HUGE milestone. You just can’t stumble into that, it represents very real and very significant progress.

Now, you just need to close the gap. You do that by using your PT results to identify your soft spots and then from there you strengthen them. This is a difficult and tedious task; but the path forward is sitting right in front of you, and finding the path is something many people never accomplish. You’ve got a lot of hard work ahead of you; but you knew that when you started this thing, so don’t let that discourage you.
  • Darth JuristDarth Jurist Member
    453 karma
    Thanks @"Nathan Turley" for the kind words of admiration. I really can't quite pin it down to a specific issue. Some tests, i go -0 on LG, and others, I go -12. RC is definitely feels like the hardest part of the test, but scores show otherwise at times--on the second to last test I took I went -8, which is perfect for my target score.

Now that you mention the aspect of dwelling on LR, I do feel like that is a big problem of mine. I'm just so slow!!! lol

@Sheri123 I jump around and try to keep pace with the BR group, so I have done PTs in the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s. I have taken 53 and 58 out of the 50s and these ones stood out as particularly cumbersome to me. Are certain decades of LSATs different, in terms of difficulty, from others?

@"Cant Get Right" Thanks man! I guess the BR trends tells a different story. I guess I should be happy with the progress I have made and continue to be prepared for off days.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2016 2086 karma
    I've learned the hard way (not really, I just listened to @"Cant Get Right" ) that your timed score simply tells you how well you will do under timed conditions. Your BR score is a better indicator of your understanding of the LSAT. Keep working on mastering the LSAT, and improving mental endurance.