Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice for 2nd retake?

LsatistheworstLsatistheworst Free Trial Member
edited July 2016 in General 59 karma
Hi guys, I need some advice for how to go about my third LSAT

I took the LSAT for the first time in Dec of 2015 and cancelled my score (that LG petrified me). I retook June of 2016 and got a 160. I was a bit disappointed because I had scored a 166 a couple of times, but to be perfectly honest a 160 was a pretty accurate score given my last few PTs. I am applying to law schools in the fall (aiming for T20s only) and I really need scholarships so I have decided to take the LSAT one last time in September.

I haven't looked at anything since the June LSAT and I am wondering if anyone can give me some direction for how I should start studying. To give a basic overview, I did blue print the summer of 2015 leading up to the Dec LSAT, took a couple of months off and did the 7sage cirriculum in March of 2016 and used it leading up to the June LSAT. My paid 7sage membership has since expired and I am wondering if I should get a new membership, get the LSAT trainer that I keep hearing more about, or if I should just take a lot of PTs and isolated sections since I have already gone through the basics so many times.

Without a doubt, my biggest weakness is RC. While I was averaging -2 on LG and -4 on LR, I am lucky to get less than -10 on RC. For example, one of the times i scored a 166, I got -13 on RC but did really well on the other sections. If anyone has any advice on where to go from here I would appreciate it. I have actually gotten to a point where I am thinking about giving up on RC because I feel like I have tried everything (including the RC bible) and I still suck at it but I am also still able to pull of a decent score by doing well on the other sections.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    @Lsatistheworst said:
    I took the LSAT for the first time in Dec of 2015 and cancelled my score (that LG petrified me).
    That was my second take, and yeah, Game 3 was absolutely brutal!

It’s great that your Games and LR are so strong. Why do you think you struggle so much with reading? You’re obviously plenty smart. I think one of the most important realizations to have in RC is that the actual passages are completely superficial. Just like every sequencing game is the same as every other sequencing game and every conditional reasoning problem is exactly the same, every reading passage is the same as the last. They have a lot of tools to disguise a reading passage with, but it’s ultimately just different variables fit over the same structures. Once you learn to see the structures, RC becomes just as methodical as Games.

Definitely don’t give up on Reading, you’ve got so much potential to add on extra points! You do have to learn how to study it more effectively though. Definitely don’t keep doing what you’re doing. If it’s an option, maybe consider working with a tutor that specializes in RC. https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/4760

Here’s a recent thread with a lot of really great suggestions for improving on RC as well: https://7sage.com/discussion#/discussion/7926/really-struggling-with-rc

Hope all this helps, and good luck! I’m preparing for my 3rd take as well, so I understand the pressure. We got this though!
  • LsatistheworstLsatistheworst Free Trial Member
    59 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Thanks man, I appreciate the input. Are you going to stay with the 7sage curriculum or just going to do PTs?
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    I go back and forth. For the most part, I’m PT/BRing, but I try not to move on from a question in BR until I see it with absolute clarity. If I need to return to the curriculum to get there on a question, I do.
  • gferrerjrgferrerjr Member
    14 karma
    Honestly, I feel that the reason people struggle with reading comp is because they have been exposed to it before, whether on the SAT or ACT. As a result, they don't give themselves enough time to prepare. LSAC knows this, so they intentionally design the RC to be hard. When you read, try doing what's called "Active Reading." As you read, start to analyze. Think about why the author put things in the passage and the role it serves. It helps to retain information.

June 2016 was my first LSAT, and needless to say, December will go a lot better for me.
  • MattLaP323MattLaP323 Member
    32 karma

Thanks All!