Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When to purchase CAS?

kmarie7kmarie7 Alum Member
I will be applying for Fall 2017, and am taking the LSAT in September. I want to start asking for LORs asap. Do I need to purchase CAS before I get LORS? Also, when will I be able to see my LSAC GPA? I have submitted all transcripts over a month ago.

Comments

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma
    Buy it now. It's good for 5 years (I think). It's used to simply the admissions process so you don't have to send your transcript, LORs, etc. to every school individually. I think most schools require you use it anyway.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    edited July 2016 3197 karma
    @"Accounts Playable" said:
    Buy it now. It's good for 5 years (I think).
    Yep, do it now and its good for 5 years and updates with every LSAC purchase through their site. Like my account is good until 2121, even though I signed up for CAS in 2014
  • Matthew524Matthew524 Member
    651 karma
    @stepharizona do you think you will be applying to law schools in 2121?
    3197 karma
    @Matthew524 said:
    @stepharizona do you think you will be applying to law schools in 2121?
    I sure hope not! Plan is this cycle... but life happens.
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    @stepharizona THAT'S THE SPIRIT
    3197 karma
    Haha well as person thats had to delay twice Ive learned to roll with it.
  • YesSarahYesSarah Alum Member
    137 karma
    @stepharizona Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but can you explain what CAS is/does?
    3197 karma
    @YesSarah said:
    @stepharizona Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but can you explain what CAS is/does?
    CAS is the Credential Assembly Service. Essentially, it is what puts your required filed together for all Law School Applications. Its where you send your transcripts to get your standardized UGPA, how you request and receive your letters of recommendation and more.

You can get the details directly from the LSAC here http://www.lsac.org/jd/applying-to-law-school/cas

Basically it is mandatory to apply to any ABA law school
  • kmarie7kmarie7 Alum Member
    208 karma
    Do you have to purchase it before you can see your LSAC GPA? @stepharizona
    3197 karma
    Yes, you have to have CAS in order to have your transcritps sent to the LSAC.
  • YesSarahYesSarah Alum Member
    137 karma
    @stepharizona Thank you for your reply! I thought that it was required. Something in this thread had me thinking it was a choice to purchase haha