Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Back on track..where should I start?

Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
edited July 2016 in General 2098 karma
Hey guys, little background information, I studied for LSAT for six months during which I finished the syllabus, did couple of PT and did the Bundle that increased my score from below 148 (not timed) to 151(timed). But had to go back to uni for three months to get my GPA up. Now I am free and have until December to take the LSAT and need a 155-157 to get in. I will be studying for LSAT full time from now until December, I do not know where should I start? Should I finish the trainer, do a quick review of syllabus or start doing PTs and BR? I appreciate it if you could tell me what do you think.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    I’d say, maybe start with a PT/BR. That will probably tell you what you need to do better than anything else could!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2016 23929 karma
    Hey @nader.parham ,

Congrats on working on getting that GPA up. That shows a ton of commitment, which is always a valuable trait for those of us embarking on the arduous LSAT journey.
    First, I would say to not set your goal at a date, but at a score. So you’ll want to aim for a 160+ so if you have an off day on the test, you’ll still be able to hit your target 155-157. I think the most harmful thing I see people do is set their LSAT date and then work towards it in lieu of setting a score and working towards that AND then sitting for the test. I promise you with enough work and time, you can absolutely hit a 157, or better! I actually recently just decided against taking in December because there would be no way I would feel ready. And it doesn’t make sense to rush through the material and put in all that work for a score you won’t be proud of, or one that isn’t your true target. Since then I’ve been a big advocate of the 7Sage philosophy of waiting until you are 100% ready. The best part is I am way less stressed and can focus on learning to defeat this beast of a test.

So what exactly do I think should be your next step?
    I’d go through the core curriculum again and then use The LSAT Trainer to shore up any weaknesses. I find that LSATers in the low 150s are just missing a few significant skills (logic, argument structure, proper LG diagramming/inference making) that could raise their scores way up into the 160s. Really focus on hammering in those key fundamentals and I think you will be surprised how much your score will rise.
    I don’t think you should do a “quick” review of the syllabus, but rather a thorough one. Having not studied for a few months, I am sure you’re a little rusty—and that’s to be expected.

PT’s are a finite treasure for us LSAT test takers. Don’t begin taking them until you are a master of all the fundamentals JY/Mike Kim go over in their lessons.
    Just take your time and really learn them and you’ll be golden. You may want to take one to gauge where you're at and get a good read on your weaknesses.

• Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" should I start form 36 or just join the BR group for September? I just do not want to burn through most recent PTs.
    2098 karma
    @"Alex Divine" thanks for writing such a detailed comment, I totally agree with the philosophy of not setting the date but the school I want to attend keeps on changing the rules on GPA calculation and its weight every year and I am afraid next year they mess up my L2 (based on their calculation) last acceptable test date for them is December I have to at least sit for the test even if I end up cancelling because next year they might ask a higher LSAT.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    edited July 2016 5120 karma
    Nader, Congrats! If you can, take PT 52 that will be covered on the BR Call tomorrow night at 8est to get a gauge of where you stand. I know you have been trying to keep up with LG so hopefully taking a PT as @"Cant Get Right" said will give you a little guidance to build a study plan moving forward.

Edited to add: Maybe we can get @allison.gill.sanford to host Office Hours in celebration of your return? Hint, Hint, lol
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @nader.parham Ahhh I see...Well still, even so, remember that your LSAT is going to count for more and it is better to apply with a better LSAT. What schools are you targeting out of curiosity?
    2098 karma
    @twssmith thanks for the comment I took my last exam today I will join the BR call if I manage to take and BR the test by tomorrow. I missed the office hours so much; hope we can get one soon :)
    2098 karma
    @"Alex Divine" I am targeting University of Alberta (in Canada)
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @nader.parham Oh alright! I had a feeling it wasn't in the US. I don't know much about the Canadian law school admissions process, but I guess you're saying they change how they weight the GPAs? Ugh...that's annoying. I think 4 months will give you a decent amount of time to see some increases, though.
    27821 karma
    Hey Nader, definitely smart to be conservative with your PTs. I think 36 might be a good one to use as a kind of post curriculum diagnostic. I took that one today actually to help stay sharp while I’m off of PTing to really focusing on LG. It’s a good test. I actually had fun taking it, lol.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    It’s a good test. I actually had fun taking it, lol.
    Wtf?
    11542 karma
    @nader.parham said:
    and need a 155-157 to get in
    I'm not sure if that's the score you're aiming for? If so, I'd aim higher, especially with 7sage :)
    27821 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Wtf?
    Yeah dude, it was fun after being off it for so long. Was able to try out some things on LR that wound up working great, was able to employ my improved LG skills effectively, and was able to remind myself I can really kick some LSAT ass. Felt good!
    11542 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    and was able to remind myself I can really kick some LSAT ass. Felt good!
    ummm...when's your webinar man?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" @montaha.rizeq You guys, I have a confession to make: I think I am starting to like the LSAT too. Idk it isn't "fun" in the traditional sense, but it is becoming like a video game I have to beat. Every point feels like a level, and I just know I'm going to beat this thing! :)
    27821 karma
    Lol @montaha.rizeq , once I have an official LSAT score that qualifies me!

And yeah @"Alex Divine” , that’s exactly what happens! It’s weird. I absolutely despised the ACT, SAT, and GRE. But not the LSAT. I actually respect the LSAT. I feel like studying for it actually makes me smarter instead of just giving me a better test score. I recognize that there is actual value in what I’m learning. And JY certainly makes the curriculum way more enjoyable than anyone could expect.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    Hi @nader.parham - welcome back!
    I think you can start "easy" by re-doing one of the PT's you've done before to assess how much, if any, the break has impacted your standing. Pick one you've done a long time ago and you won't remember the answers, and take the score with a grain of salt, because it's likely to include an LG section you've already proofed, and that alone can push your score up significantly. The point of this PT would just be to assess how you "feel" about the questions. Do you still remember what to do when you see an NA question? Are flaws as clear as they were before? Are you struggling more to remember how to diagram an "unless" statement than you did before the break? Did you remember to check each answer for potential words that give it away as a trap?
    If you conclude you haven't lost much ground, then you can proceed with your studies where you left them. If not, pay special attention to the skills that have gone rusty and focus on those first, either by revisiting the curriculum if they are fundamental skills, or by drilling if they are more "strategic" skills like identifying trap answers and skipping time sinkers.
    2098 karma
    @runiggyrun Thanks for the comment, would you recommend that I do a new PT but from old ones like PT 36, because I Blind Reviewed all the PT's that I have taken except the one that I took just 2 months ago?
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    Yeah, a new "old" PT would work as well - something that's not too dissimilar with the ones you've taken so you can compare your feel about the test on an apples-to-apples basis. If you've only done 60's and 70's before then a 30 might feel either easier or weirder, but if you've done a bunch of early ones before you'll be able to get a fair idea of where you stand after the hiatus.