Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it too late?

DJ JohnsonDJ Johnson Alum Member
Hi all, I am currently registered to take the September 2016 LSAT and I have been studying but I just don't know if I will be ready to meet my maximum potential score by this time. I plan to attend law school in the Fall of 2017 and I was wondering if, even after taking the September test, it will be too late for me to apply to schools with my December score?

I don't want to take the exam twice, however, I think this is the best way to maximize my score and allow myself enough time but I also don't want to postpone until December and end up regretting not taking it twice.

Is the December 2016 test too late to use to apply to law schools?

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    No not at all. In fact February isn't too late for a lot of schools. That being said I would avoid sticking to arbitrary timelines if you aren't ready. Law school will always be there for you so take your time and take it only when you're ready.
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    Very common question. You'll be absolutely fine to apply for fall 2017 with a December score. As many others will tell you, it's always better to postpone if you're not ready. By taking in December you even have the February take as a backup if you don't score as high as you'd like.

My advice is to get your apps finished before you sit for the December exam. That way you can press submit immediately after achieving your goal score.

Good luck!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    The answer to your question is no, it is not too late to apply with a December score.

However, if you don't know if you are going to be ready, I would suggest to postpone until you are ready and have the confidence it takes to do well on this test. And I see your concern with not wanting to take the test twice, and I share the same desire. So I decided to not work towards a date, but rather a goal. I told myself I wouldn't sit for the LSAT until I am scoring in the 170s.

Once I decided this my stress level went from 10 to about a 2 overnight. As a result, I was better able to study and be more effective with my studying because I no longer had to sacrifice anything for the sake of time. I can comfortably go through the amazing and detailed 7Sage course, repeating lessons if I feel I need, and doing all the drills multiple times, or until I feel like I own the question type I am working on.

This test is too important to take without being 100% ready. It is not an easy thing to sit out an entire cycle when you intended to apply this cycle. But it is often the best decision. The old cliche that "law school isn't going anywhere" is completely true.

You mention in your post the best way to maximize your score is to take the test twice. Well if you want a practice run, take a timed-recent PT at a local/college library. But I don't think you should waste a take just for a trial run. That said, the best way to maximize your score is to prep, PT, and Blind review until you are consistently scoring where you want to be.

• TheLoftGuyTheLoftGuy Alum Member
    690 karma
    I decided to take the LSAT a few weeks ago and registered for the September test date the same day. Before I took a prep test I decided that I was sticking to that test day. For me I would rather take the exam and if my score isn't where I want it to be I'll, study harder and retest. Currently testing in the mid 160s and I just purchased the starter today.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @TheLoftGuy Great choice going with the starter course. I'm using it and loving it!
    If your mind is made up for September, then I won't give you the whole spiel on not taking until you are 100% ready. if you are scoring in the mid-160s with only a few weeks prep, you are obviously a good reader/understand logic and have the potential to increase your score up into the 99%-tile. But I guess it all depends on what your target score is and how fast you progress. I just am of the opinion that it is better to only take the test once you're consistently PT'ing at your target score. This way you save yourself the stress of a retake and don't waste a take.

Just remember---you can always postpone and take in December and still apply this cycle :)

690 karma
    I am just a good standardized test taker. I didn't know what to expect when I took my first prep and ran out of time on the RC sections. Overall I didn't find the content hard at all. I am hoping that the starter has some pointers on how to improve my time and reading speed. Because I am only taking this exam once. What number are the recent exams? I want to take one within recent years.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited August 2016 11542 karma
    @TheLoftGuy said:
    Overall I didn't find the content hard at all
    hmmm.....what did you diagnose at?
    @TheLoftGuy said:
    Because I am only taking this exam once.
    That's a good mindset, but don't sell yourself short.

11542 karma
    @TheLoftGuy said:
    Currently testing in the mid 160s
    Is this with strict 35 min/section timing and no breaks besides the 15 min. after section 3?
    690 karma
    163. My PTs have been varying 158-163. But that's with no studying. Hints me signing up for 7Sage.
    690 karma
    Minus the 15 min break @montaha.rizeq
    11542 karma
    @TheLoftGuy said:
    My PTs have been varying 158-163.
    Impressive to say the least! You'll go far with this LSAT I'm sure of it, but since you're diagnosing so high, why are you aiming for the 160s? If it's because you want to get this exam over with by taking in Sept. you're cheating yourself out of major scholarship money...don't do that :)
    11542 karma
    @TheLoftGuy said:
    Minus the 15 min break
    Everyone needs a break! lol
    690 karma
    The goal I set was 165 before i took any preps. I don't want to raise the bar for myself and discover that I am testing high because of old PTs. I need to test on newer PTs before I increase my goal. Of course 170+ would be ideal. @montaha.rizeq
    @TheLoftGuy said:
    What number are the recent exams? I want to take one within recent years.
    the 70s. The most recent was PT 78 (June 2016). Available on Amazon.
    11542 karma
    @TheLoftGuy said:
    I need to test on newer PTs before I increase my goal.
    Honestly speaking, you shouldn't be wasting PTs (ESPECIALLY the newer ones) before finishing the core curriculum. You'll find that you put yourself at a disadvantage when it comes to the PT stage of your prep and you barely have any fresh ones to go by. Be careful of that, there's only so many PTs out there.
    690 karma
    Great advice. Never thought about that. I will just take one 70s and follow the curriculum. I def don't want to run out of PTs but I do want to see how the new exams are structured @montaha.rizeq
    11542 karma
    @TheLoftGuy said:
    I will just take one 70s and follow the curriculum.
    haha, sticking to your guns - I like it but at the same time I don't. Sigh. I understand what you mean, and no matter what you score with the newer PT, 7sage got your back to reach that 170+ score, you just have to be ok with the potential of postponing your tentative exam date. Wasting takes and wasting PTs are too common in the LSAT world, and the rent detriment is too damn high.
    690 karma
    Thank you for all your helps. I just ordered 78 77 and 76 from Amazon, $16. But I will take your advice and not out myself to a disadvantage. Do you suggest that I still to the 7stage starter as my only prep? I must admit that The question explanation on the June 2007 test on here was very helpful. So I will build myself up to the 70s. @montaha.rizeq
    11542 karma
    @TheLoftGuy said:
    But I will take your advice and not out myself to a disadvantage.
    You really are bright though.
    @TheLoftGuy said:
    Do you suggest that I still to the 7stage starter as my only prep?
    Yup, that's what many people do (including myself). If you want, you can supplement the LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim as a secondary source (really excellent book and compliments many of the 7sage material) but that's only when you finish 7sage. I think you'll do just fine with the starter pack, it contains the same curriculum as the other packs but with less drills/pt explanations.
    690 karma
    Thank you for all your help. I saw that a lot of ppl order the LSAT Trainer. But when I went to order one I discovered that the reviews were almost all negative. So I didn't order it. You are the 1st so rave about it. @montaha.rizeq
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    @TheLoftGuy said:
    I saw that a lot of ppl order the LSAT Trainer. But when I went to order one I discovered that the reviews were almost all negative.
    It’s got 4.5/5 on Amazon. Where were you looking?
    690 karma
    Maybe I have the titles mixed up as I can't find my notes on book reviews. I will place the order tonight. Do you are that the LSAT Trainer is to be used after I've complete the 7Sage starter? @"Cant Get Right"
    Yup I think you got mixed up @TheLoftGuy ! Here's the link for the book: The LSAT Trainer it has a 4.7/5 review! :
    A remarkable self-study guide for the self-driven student https://www.amazon.com/dp/0989081508/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_mU2OxbEM3XHK5

Honestly I'm very picky about books that teach you material, but the Trainer made learning how to tackle the LSAT very understandable for me. I'm also finding it compliments 7sages approach which is why I recommend people read it after completing 7sage just to reaffirm the material if need be. I wouldn't for example supplement powerscore with 7sage. Hope this helps :)
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    @TheLoftGuy , I think it would be fine to work through in tandem with the curriculum or afterwards. Use it to reinforce the curriculum, so however you think is the most effective for your learning style.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Nope, you should be fine with a December score, and as @Pacifico mentioned, for many schools even a February score will work. Focus on scoring within your target range, score consistently within that range, then register to take the LSAT.
  • Burt MacklinBurt Macklin Alum Member
    170 karma
    Anyone know if there is a list of schools that do admissions via rolling and those that are not?
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Virtually all law schools use rolling admissions. I can't think of a single one off the top of my head that doesn't. That doesn't mean they don't have deadlines though.