Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Community Service

Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
edited August 2016 in Law School Admissions 1762 karma
Hi all,

So I want to spiff up my resume a bit and do some community service around my city on the weekends. I've decided on Habitat for Humanity. I basically just signed up and can choose any day im available (mostly Sats because I work full-time). It's surprisingly easy.

How often should I do it?
How long do I have to do it before I can actually put it on my resume?
Should I get proof of volunteering and send it with my apps to law school?

Comments

• Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Can you tell i've never done this before?
  • ay_fegetaboutitay_fegetaboutit Alum Member
    116 karma
    You should do it if you feel like you are helping out and it is rewarding. Don't volunteer for a line on your resume. Law schools couldn't care less if/where/how long you volunteered.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"ay_fegetaboutit" said:
    You should do it if you feel like you are helping out and it is rewarding. Don't volunteer for a line on your resume. Law schools couldn't care less if/where/how long you volunteered.
    True and there's no need for proof of volunteering
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2016 23929 karma
    @nanchito I agree with the posts above. @david.busis mentioned this morning on another post that admissions care less about what and more so how long. So don't do it just for a line on the resume, but I have a feeling from seeing your posts on this board you actually care and want to volunteer.

I think once you've done it more than once you can put it on your resume. Heck, you could even throw it on there after one week, although I am not sure about the ethics behind that idea, so my best advice is to do what you feel is right. Similarly I was doing volunteer work and grappled with the notion of putting it on my resume immediately vs. waiting. It was something I knew I as going to be doing for 6+ months, so I added it after 6 weeks or something. But that is only because it is when I felt comfortable adding it.

How often should you do it?

I guess whenever your heart desires. I you want to put it on your resume, I think 1-2x a month is adequate.
    1762 karma
    @ay_fegetaboutit I could think of a bunch of reasons why I want to do it.

@"Alex Divine" thanks for the info.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Have you taken the LSAT yet? If so, are you happy with your score? If not, your primary focus should be on getting that score up.
    That said, I volunteer at a place where I work with children with disabilities. I probably go once a week for a few hours each day.
    1762 karma
    @MrSamIam Yes, no, not yet. My primary focus is definitely the lsat. I'm not going to go hard, it's one day a week lol.Thanks for your input.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    mentioned this morning on another post that admissions care less about what and more so how long.
    Actually it was the opposite. He said:
    @david.busis said:
    The general rule for sorts, whether or not you're a NTD, is that WHAT you do matters a whole lot more than, well, how long and hard you do it. Sorry I just made that sound gross. Admissions officers are looking to see signs of committment and leadership.
    So yes, go for the volunteering, as that is a what, and even though its a short time that wont matter.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @stepharizona My bad, I completely wrote that wrong, lol. I'm glad you caught it though.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Habitat for Humanity is where I volunteered for a few years myself! Good choice. :)
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7292 karma
    @stepharizona @"Alex Divine" Oh no! I meant to write that what you do matters LESS than how long and hard you do it, not more. @AlexDivine, you managed to see what I meant. @stepharizona, sorry about that!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27829 karma
    I’m going to look like a real asshole if I’m a no show at all these charity events I just signed up for.

That’s such a funny situation, I wish it were true, lol.