Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logical reasoning question

emilycyoung1emilycyoung1 Free Trial Member
in General 234 karma
This is a most strongly supported question from PT 38.
Mystery stories often feature a brilliant detective and the detective’s dull companion. Clues are presented in the story and the companion wrongly infers an inaccurate solution to the mystery using same clues that detective uses to deduce correct solution. Thus the author’s strategy of including dull companion gives readers a chance to solve the mystery while also diverting them from the correct solution.
Which one of the following is most strongly supported by the information above?

I chose A but the answer is C. I do not understand why A is not correct. Most mystery stories and mystery stories often seems like exactly the same thing to me.

(A) Most mystery stories feature a brilliant detective who solves the mystery presented in the story.

(C) Some mystery stories give readers enough clues to infer the correct solution to the mystery.

Help?

Comments

• KaterynaKateryna Alum Member
    edited August 2016 984 karma
    the word "most" implies that more than 50% of the stories feature the brilliant detective.
    the paragraph, on the other hand, states that stories "often" feature the brilliant detective.
    most does not equal often
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27859 karma
    Yeah, I definitely get what you’re saying with often and most. That’s probably a deliberate trap they were setting. You can apply it to more obvious ideas and it becomes a little clearer. So, something like:

People often run marathons.
    Most people run marathons.

In this case, the difference between the two statements is a little more apparent.
  • KaterynaKateryna Alum Member
    984 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" yeap thanks for clarifying. thats exactly what i meant.