Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will we be good at those recent unique games if we do old PTs?

Tina ChoTina Cho Free Trial Member
in General 442 karma
Hi, just wondering...
And would like to hear from someone who did old games...
Do you think if we do more old games, it helps to solve those irregular newer games? :(
If so, from which PT to which PT would you suggest to do??

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Bumping to the top so more people see your question!
  • CalPoliSciCalPoliSci Member
    236 karma
    Aren't older games, like from 1-41, known to be much harder than the modern era? They have way more game pieces and therefore more possible outcomes. I'd say that if you train under more difficult games, the modern ones will come easier.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    Absolutely @"Tina Cho" . The most important thing about encountering a new game type is just to not panic. It's easy to freeze under pressure when you encounter something completely unfamiliar, and the ability to keep it together largely comes down to experience. The more games you've mastered, the more confident and able you will be in approaching a new game.
  • Tina ChoTina Cho Free Trial Member
    442 karma
    Thank you for the responses.
    I thought newer PTs starts to have irregular games, but those are not that similar to the old ones, so I was not sure whether doing old games helps...plus I don't have much time to do all of the games so :(
    Will try to do as many as games possible!
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    @"Tina Cho"

Similar to what @"Cant Get Right" says, if you examine new era weird games, the set up is where the bulk of the difficulty lies. Make sure to take some breaths, set up the board, and understand how the rules and game pieces interact.

I'm not giving any spoilers, but these new weird games often have a couple of softball questions that flat out reward you for getting that ground work done. So back to your original question, developing the instinctual ability to take on/work through unconventional games is drawn from your practice on earlier LGs
    442 karma
    So...from PT1 until which PT does it include old/unconventional games? Since I don't have much time to do all games, maybe I just wanna do those unconventional games only from early PTs :(
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    Ehhh hard to lay out which ones exactly. If you buy the "10 actual" book that includes PTs 19-28, that should cover a lot of the older games. That's a book that I leaned on heavily to drill my LG to the level that it is today.

Here's an amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/More-Actual-Official-LSAT-PrepTests/dp/0979305039/ref=pd_sim_14_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EZE8KX9DVMX5261FN7ZC

There are a lot of weird/interesting/difficult games in those early PTs. I'd say basically every PT has some value you can derive from it, so don't take my book recommendation as a complete collection of what to go over
    442 karma
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    The difference between older games and newer ones seems to be somewhat trivial. All games primarily test one thing, your ability to spot and utilize inferences. If you can do that on the older games, you can certainly do it on the newer ones.
    Oh, and the inferences they hide in the newer games tend to be the same ones that they hide in the older games.
    442 karma
    How do you define old games? Until which PT?
    27823 karma
    What most of us do is sacrifice PTs 1-36 to use for drills and save everything above that for full length PTs. It's completely arbitrary, but I think that would be the most commonly used line to distinguish a test as old.
    442 karma
    Ohh I see...so until 36=old, after that=new?
    27823 karma
    @"Tina Cho" said:
    Ohh I see...so until 36=old, after that=new?
    Not exactly. It's a spectrum, so there really isn't a clean dividing point. 36 is just where we arbitrarily start PTing. You could also say that 52 is where the "new," modern tests begin because that is when the Comparative Reading first started. A lot of people find the 70's to be significantly different from the 50's though. So there really just isn't a clean division. PT 1 is certainly old and PT 78 is certainly new. Everything else is shades of grey.
    442 karma
    I see thank you. could you explain a bit more about how 70s are different from 50s? in what way? the languages they use or logic behind or...I noticed there were new types of questions inLR and just felt they become more difficult...but other than that how do you feel they are different?
    442 karma
    btw is 70s different from 60s as well?