Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOR help

StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
in General 821 karma
Emailed a professor who I'd really love a letter from but he hasn't responded. Sent the email two weeks ago, should I follow up or just wait another few weeks and see what happens? Don't wanna annoy him, but at the same time I'd like to have him do it now before the semester starts. Not really sure how to proceed, if anyone has been in a similar situation I'd really appreciate some advice. Thanks!

Comments

• Kristen BKristen B Member
    edited August 2016 388 karma
    I have been in this very situation as well. Once, I emailed a professor and it took them 3+weeks to respond. I knew he was in the midst of the semester, so I held out. However, I was prepared to send a reminder email at the 4 week mark. With your situation, I would send a follow up email, because once the semester starts things get real hectic. Even one of my other professors, who I asked a recommendation for, suggested that I send a reminder email If I didn't hear from them in a reasonable time due to the shuffle of the semester. Anyway, good luck!
  • souman11souman11 Alum Member
    72 karma
    Just send a follow up. I sent an email to a professor a week ago requesting him as a reference. He didn't reply within the week, so I sent up a follow up yesterday. Turns out he was on vacation and responded yesterday. Don't worry about annoying them. They probably didn't see the email. You can always go to their office or even call.

Goodluck!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    Yeah, I think two weeks is an appropriate wait for a follow up.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Does he or she know you or is likely to remember you? If so maybe you should go in person if that's an option.
    11542 karma
    Very true @"Kristen B" . Fall semester is right around the corner for most schools.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Does he or she know you or is likely to remember you? If so maybe you should go in person if that's an option.
    Yeah, the common wisdom is if you can, go in person. If not, email will suffice. I'm going to email my profs for LOR pretty soon and won't be able to meet with them....

2 weeks seems reasonable. I know many profs don't check their emails much in the summer semester, especially if they aren't teaching a summer course.
  • StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    821 karma
    Thanks everyone. Actually just found out from a friend that he doesn't teach anymore. So there goes the possibility of meeting him once the semester starts. The only option I guess now is to email him again and ask if we can arrange to meet up. I did well in his class and he wrote me an awesome recommendation letter for a scholarship at my school. So I think I can benefit a lot from having him write a letter. How would you guys suggest writing up the follow up email? Don't wanna come off as annoying. I kinda hate this process since you're asking people for favors and can't really pay them back.
    11542 karma
    @StopLawying said:
    I did well in his class and he wrote me an awesome recommendation letter for a scholarship at my school.
    Oh man!!!! I hope you get in touch then - this seems like a good LOR on your application. The follow up should be simple: hey don't mean to distrubt but I noticed you haven't replied yet to my email, I would appreciate if you can help me with this, it's very important, and if you haven't already mentioned that he wrote you a letter before, I'd include that in "I appreciated your recommendation from last time so I'm hoping you can also write me one for law school" Just ideas.
  • StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    821 karma
    @montaha.rizeq thanks, just emailed him. Hope he responds!
    edited August 2016 11542 karma
    @StopLawying said:
    Hope he responds!
    Likewise! Do you think he retired or went to a different institution? google him maybe? lol