Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confused about LOR

Hello! After reading through many topics about LORs, I was hoping that someone could help/offer me your opinions.

I am 4 years out of university and I have one letter in the LSAC system from a professor. I had planned on getting a second letter from another professor that I had worked closely with (2 classes + 2 independent studies), however, due to some health issues and oversight from him... I don't feel comfortable asking him for the letter for a third time. (I had asked him twice, followed up each time, but his response to any request for the LOR is to ignore... if I email him about anything else, life updates, etc. he's all ears.)

Therefore, is it okay just to have one letter from a professor whose class was negligible to my credit hours?

Also, is there a specific type of class/professor I should be looking to get a letter of rec from? (I went to an engineering school, so I figure I should be looking towards the humanities professors.)

Side note, after working at a fortune 500 company for a bit, I moved back to my home state to work for the 'family business'. Is it in poor form for me to get a letter of rec from a colleague (unrelated to me in any form; we have a great working relationship/have worked on many projects together)?

Apologies in advance for how awkwardly worded this is... but thank you for any insight!

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I would try to find at least one more academic especially since you're only four years out of school.

Any type of professor is fine and STEM profs might provide a nice contrast to humanities profs.

The LOR from a colleague is okay as long as they can speak to your abilities that would contribute towards success in law school. Good luck!
  • sneakymurphsneakymurph Member
    56 karma
    Thank you @Pacifico !
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7293 karma
    I'd definitely get another academic rec if you can. All else being equal, a humanities professor would be better than an engineering professor, but it's much more important that the professor knows you and likes you. Don't try to game it out; ask the professor—or TA—who will write you the best letter.

I actually don't think it would look good if you got a letter from a colleague. Much better to ask for a letter from a supervisor, although if all of your supervisors are family members, you may have no choice.
  • sneakymurphsneakymurph Member
    56 karma
    Thank you @david.busis for your insight. I'm going to scour my transcript and college memories to see which professor could hopefully still write me a relatively strong rec. If not, we'll see.