Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Visit Law Schools I'm applying to?

TheBatmanTheBatman Alum Member
in General 255 karma
I have heard that one should visit the law schools they are applying to.

There are a few law schools I am applying to, I can pay for a flight to visit 3 of them (when landed, I can travel to each one by bus).

Is there a point to visit my top law school choices before I'm admitted?

If yes, what should I be doing once I'm there? Introduce myself to the secretary, or meet with someone in particular? Should I be enquiring about more details regarding the clinics the prospective law school offers? I feel like I can do all that over the phone if I really need to.

Would there by specific law schools that are should be visited, like Harvard or Yale, rather than smaller names?

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    I think it's a great idea and a great opportunity to put a face on your application. Definitely email ahead of time to see if you can have a sit down with someone from adcomms and go from there
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    I think it's a great idea and a great opportunity to put a face on your application. Definitely email ahead of time to see if you can have a sit down with someone from adcomms and go from there
    Good advice! I will echo it and add that you should visit law schools you are planning on applying to if you can to see if you like the area and law school atmosphere it self. You'll be spending 3 years there and location can make a big difference in how those 3 years go.

And it would be an added bonus if you got to meet with and talk to an adcomm while you were there. As Montaha said, just make sure you plan ahead of time and they know you are coming and all that jazz.
  • DallasOnFireDallasOnFire Member
    249 karma
    I don't understand this philosophy at all. You want to pay for airfare to 3 law schools (presumably separate cities) to visit a school you may not even be admitted to? Just to show face at the admissions office in hopes of being remembered? I don't want to sound sour but this sounds like a poor value for money proposition. If you happen to live nearby, I would say it's a good idea but I would be shocked if shaking the adcom's hand will make any difference whatsoever in your application.

If we were talking wait list it would be a different story.
    11542 karma
    Lol valid point(s) @DallasOnFire but some people have the means to do this and see a value in it especially if there's no financial burden. I personally wouldn't be able to but it does happen often. And good point about being on a WL and visiting the school.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @DallasOnFire said:
    I don't understand this philosophy at all. You want to pay for airfare to 3 law schools (presumably separate cities) to visit a school you may not even be admitted to? Just to show face at the admissions office in hopes of being remembered? I don't want to sound sour but this sounds like a poor value for money proposition. If you happen to live nearby, I would say it's a good idea but I would be shocked if shaking the adcom's hand will make any difference whatsoever in your application.

If we were talking wait list it would be a different story.
    I think if you can afford to it is 100% worth visiting law schools before you decide where you want to apply to. Now if @TheBatman is doing this mainly to talk to adcomms in hopes of increasing admissions chances, I would say not worth it unless already waitlisted.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    I think it is about relationship building and also determining if a school IS for you. If you have the funds, go for it. I went to visit 2 reach schools last year and have built fairly good relationships with a few of the administration folks, also visiting local or nearby schools has been beneficial for the same reason. It helps to put a name with a face (assuming you actually get to make an impression).

Also some schools do keep logs of who has visited and it can play a role (although very small) wen it comes to admissions. The relationship building is far more important than just putting your name on a list.

Also visiting before applying helps you eliminate a school. My dream school ended up being a total bust. I went took a few classes and was put off by the entire experience. Students were shopping on their computers during the lecture, not engaged... I couldn't help thinking, I know most of you scored above a 172 on the LSAT to be sitting in this room why are you wasting this!??! I quickly realized this was not the school nor a place I would want to be, which was heart breaking but also freeing. Also because I was in town, I decided to go to a school I wasn't that interested in and was AMAZED by the students and faculty from the classes I took. I realized it was a school I would feel at home in. The school I had dismissed actually would be my dream school now, and not as much of a reach as I thought.

There are a few schools I have thought I wouldn't be interested in, but I am going to make an effort to visit before applying. Also, you can often get a fee waiver with a visit. My first LSAT was not good but I have waivers to top schools because of my visits. I know I would have NOT received those without visits. So yes, the plane ticket cost me $200 (thanks Southwest sale) But I have $160 in waivers because of the visits. I should note I did both, attend the law days and then on a separate day took classes and visited with Admissions folks. I am big into networking, so I think those skills have paid off well and been a benefit when it has come to visits.
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2016 2098 karma
    I emailed in advance and kept it short. Just let them know that you are really interested in the school (be honest). I did this and got specific advice how to improve my application and how they calculate their admission range. she literally gave me the formula they use for admission, not sure she supposed to do that but she told me I have a very good chance even if I will not get a high LSAT score.
  • I can somewhat understand the arguments against going but not really. I mean, either way, if you're committed to going to see the school before you enroll you're going to go at some point. You should definitely consider going. This past winter I went to visit schools and I had some very surprising revelations about a school that I thought was in my top-3. I HATED it there and couldn't really figure out why and it's not something I would have picked up on just by looking online and reaching out to the admissions counselor to 'get the formula' for admission (which most upper-tier schools do not provide - or they claim they do not exist). Conversely on the same trip I fell in love with one of the schools that I went to visit and it made me more committed and determined to get into that school in particular and not just any school. Both of those are important things to learn before you pay $100 to send out an application or stick with a particular LSAT score in your application process. With the cost of law school approaching 250,000 over three years at some of the upper-tier schools, why would you not want to visit it and make sure you're going to be happy there earlier rather than later?
  • jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
    edited August 2016 822 karma
    I personally think it's really worth visiting schools (if it's in your budget). I've visited three school's of interest so far (they were all somewhat close-by) and am flying out to visit two of my reach school's in a month.
    I would recommend reaching out to the school and check to see what they offer for visiting students. If you let them know that you are flying in, they may be able to accommodate you a little more per your schedule. Most schools offer tours (led by 2 or 3Ls) and classes to sit in. Some school's have offered me to sit with adcomm after the tour and class. If they do not offer this right off the bat, just ask and you shall receive (hopefully).
    Make sure you come prepared with lots of questions, and dress to impress.
  • sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma
    Wow I must admit I did not consider this. I live within driving distance of my 3 target schools (really hopeful to not have to pick up the kids and move, but will if necessary) and I am going to reach and see about scheduling an individual tour. I think it is a great idea. The websites of my 3 schools indicate that if wanting a personal/individual visit to contact requesting such.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"dytmom_3x" said:
    Wow I must admit I did not consider this. I live within driving distance of my 3 target schools (really hopeful to not have to pick up the kids and move, but will if necessary) and I am going to reach and see about scheduling an individual tour. I think it is a great idea. The websites of my 3 schools indicate that if wanting a personal/individual visit to contact requesting such
    Sounds like a great plan! I think people are crazy to apply/attend schools which they have never even been to. I mean if you're potentially spending hundreds of thousands of dollars and 3-years of your life, I would think visiting it to make sure you like it would be up there on the to-do list.

Besides, meeting with the admissions people is almost certainly a plus! :)

Good luck!
  • TheBatmanTheBatman Alum Member
    edited August 2016 255 karma
    @stepharizona Thanks for the advice. I am assuming the waivers are information sheets that give all kind of information about the prospective school. Do they have information that cannot be found online?

@montaha.rizeq @"Alex Divine" How would I go about meeting an adcomm? For one of my schools of choice, there is a number that is recommended for prospective students to confirm dates of visit. They said to consult the academic calendar to plan a visit at a time when classes are in session. Information sessions are offered with an admissions officer and student-guided tours. Do I try to get a meeting with an adcomm by straight up asking?

@"Alex Divine" I should add that information sessions with an admissions officer and student-guided tours are offered from mid-September through mid-November on most in the fall on select Friday afternoons. I plan to apply right after the December LSAT, so if I get waitlisted, I don't think ill be visiting them in Spring. It sounds like they won't be available to spend time with me.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @TheBatman That is a question beyond my experience to be honest. I would think your best and safest bet is to contact the law school and ask exactly how to go about setting up a meeting with someone when you visit from the admissions office. They might have someone special for you to meet with, but again, I'm not too sure.
    255 karma
    @JamesKent3 said:
    With the cost of law school approaching 250,000 over three years at some of the upper-tier schools, why would you not want to visit it and make sure you're going to be happy there earlier rather than later?
    Thank you. Good points. I would prefer to visit my law schools of choice after I get accepted or at least waitlisted (if possible). I mean, if I get accepted to the schools I want to go to, I can visit my top three choices to decide which one to go to?

@jennilynn89 Thank you. You mentioned "Most schools offer tours (led by 2 or 3Ls)." What does 2 or 3L mean?
    @jennilynn89 said:
    Make sure you come prepared with lots of questions, and dress to impress.
    What kind of questions should I be asking?
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    That is a question beyond my experience to be honest. I would think your best and safest bet is to contact the law school and ask exactly how to go about setting up a meeting with someone when you visit from the admissions office. They might have someone special for you to meet with, but again, I'm not too sure.
    Thanks
    11542 karma
    @TheBatman said:
    How would I go about meeting an adcomm? For one of my schools of choice, there is a number that is recommended for prospective students to confirm dates of visit. They said to consult the academic calendar to plan a visit at a time when classes are in session. Information sessions are offered with an admissions officer and student-guided tours. Do I try to get a meeting with an adcomm by straight up asking?
    Every school is indeed different, I know for one school I'm interested in, I was able to meet with the vice dean just by emailing the school. I think what you're referring to is a general visit that doesn't include meeting with an adcomm unless you call and request to do so. Some schools are open to this, but some won't be. The only way you'll find out is by directly calling the office of admissions I believe. It's possible! :)
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Every school is indeed different, I know for one school I'm interested in, I was able to meet with the vice dean just by emailing the school. I think what you're referring to is a general visit that doesn't include meeting with an adcomm unless you call and request to do so. Some schools are open to this, but some won't be. The only way you'll find out is by directly calling the office of admissions I believe. It's possible! :)
    Thanks. adcomm stands for admissions committee? Would I just ask to meet with someone from the admissions committee during my visit?
  • jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
    822 karma
    @TheBatman 2L or 3L just means law school students in their second or third year. Law school students are referred to as 1L, 2L, and 3L. We are technically 0L!

Ask questions that are important to you. What do you want to know about the school? What are you interested in? Ask the school about clinics you're interested in, or classes they offer.
    I made a list of questions specific for every school about all the different aspects of the school I was interested in. I asked about clinics, availability of professors, dean's involvement with students, student culture, environment, talking to adcomms, etc, etc. Think about what YOU want to get out of your visit. What's important to you? The school needs to impress you too, not just the other way around.
    11542 karma
    @TheBatman said:
    adcomm stands for admissions committee?
    Yes :)
    @TheBatman said:
    Would I just ask to meet with someone from the admissions committee during my visit?
    I don't recommend asking when you're there because that's short notice. Rather, email to ask to schedule a meeting with someone from the adcomms during the time you will be visiting.
    255 karma
    @jennilynn89 said:
    2L or 3L just means law school students in their second or third year. Law school students are referred to as 1L, 2L, and 3L. We are technically 0L!

Ask questions that are important to you. What do you want to know about the school? What are you interested in? Ask the school about clinics you're interested in, or classes they offer.
    I made a list of questions specific for every school about all the different aspects of the school I was interested in. I asked about clinics, availability of professors, dean's involvement with students, student culture, environment, talking to adcomms, etc, etc. Think about what YOU want to get out of your visit. What's important to you? The school needs to impress you too, not just the other way around.
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    I don't recommend asking when you're there because that's short notice. Rather, email to ask to schedule a meeting with someone from the adcomms during the time you will be visiting.
    Thanks for the answers.
    3197 karma
    @TheBatman said:
    waivers
    Waviers are application Waivers so you do not have to pay the application fee to the school.
    3197 karma
    @TheBatman said:
    I can visit my top three choices to decide which one to go to?
    Sometimes there isnt time for this like you can get accepted with a $$ offer to a school, but they can put a you must accept by... so arranging time for last minute travel might be really hard. I am not sure how common this is now, but back a few years ago this happened often. Which is why visiting before acceptance helped with negotiations or getting an app pushed through
    255 karma
    @stepharizona said:
    Waviers are application Waivers so you do not have to pay the application fee to the school.
    @stepharizona said:
    Sometimes there isnt time for this like you can get accepted with a $$ offer to a school, but they can put a you must accept by... so arranging time for last minute travel might be really hard. I am not sure how common this is now, but back a few years ago this happened often. Which is why visiting before acceptance helped with negotiations or getting an app pushed through
    Thanks. Good points.