Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT score going down

esteeroseesteerose Alum Member
in General 382 karma
I have started my senior undergrad year, and can only study around 10 hours per week instead of 20-30 that I was in the summer. My PT score has decreased over the last few tests! Is it because of the decreased time spent on studying??

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    What else is going on? Is there a particular section you're losing points on? Have you started running out of time on sections you were finishing before? Are you taking the tests sequentially and just got into the 70's?
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    edited September 2016 1171 karma
    It may be a number of things. It could be a random statistical distribution. I don't know how many tests you are talking about but I have gone down over several tests before and I didn't pin it to any one thing. I just used to feedback of missed questions as learning opportunities because they revealed weaknesses.
    The other piece you want to be honest about is your physical/mental state. Are you busier/more stressed/less well rested than you were before because of school? When I have experienced large drops (6-10 points) it is usually because of my lack of sleep or burnout level (probably due to lack of sleep) although twice I just totally screwed up the proper timing and shot myself in the foot with poor time management.
    Don't know if that helps, but stay the course and keep pushing with the caveat that you need to take care of yourself physically/mentally.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    It is highly unlikely that your score dropped just because you've cut your study time in half. If anything, your score would have just remained where it was prior to your change in study time.
    Could it be that your senior year workload and the LSAT combined is too much to handle? Or perhaps you're just exhausted - which, would be a consequence of the aforementioned possibility.
  • esteeroseesteerose Alum Member
    edited September 2016 382 karma
    @"Cant Get Right"
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    What else is going on?
    I wasn't surprised at losing a few points on LR. It's not my strong area. But Logic Games are my strong area, and I am getting only about 60% right (drop from about 75-80%). and yes... I am running out of time now and had time to spare before!! I am into just the 60's for PT's now. My highest score ever (165) was PT 78 from June...which I took straight away after I saw it was posted.

I used to find all of the stimulus and RC passages pretty interesting. Well at least I could trick myself into thinking they were. Maybe my brain has figured out that they are not contributing any functional knowledge to my life. I guess..

I thing I am either 1. Freaking out or 2. not interested in the stimulus anymore.

Any tips in rekindling interest?? Or not freaking the eff out?
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    Whether you're losing interest or freaking out, it sounds like taking a few days off would be beneficial. When you come back, foolproof the games that gave the most trouble. I'd also recommend looking up some of the topics you struggled to kindle any interest in on Wikipedia and YouTube. A lot of it is genuinely interesting and if you can find a Crash Course video or something that presents it better than an LSAT passage, it'll help. With new passages, you'll start to wonder what more there might be to it, and that will lead to interest.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    A lot of it is genuinely interesting and if you can find a Crash Course video or something that presents it better than an LSAT passage, it'll help. With new passages, you'll start to wonder what more there might be to it, and that will lead to interest.
    Why do I hate to admit that I also find some of the passages quite interesting?? Ha!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Like other have said, I think taking a few days off would be in your best interest. It is the beginning of the semester still; you're still getting into the groove of things I'm sure. Sometimes taking a break can solve all of these issues you're having, especially since something obviously changed to bring them on. I find the RC passages somewhat interesting because I really enjoy anything non-fiction. However, the last timed I was burned out losing interest was definitely something I remember happening.

As far a logic games, that could easily be related the the issues above...

Good luck gettin' through this!