Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planning on postponing... but should I?

J. TharpJ. Tharp Alum Member
edited September 2016 in General 575 karma
Hear me out. My situation is a bit different than most of you.

I'm not trying to get into a top school. In fact, I'm not worried at all about getting accepted to the top school in my state - the University of Oklahoma. I want to work in Oklahoma, so there's really no need for me to go elsewhere. That being said, the top 25 percentile LSAT score of OU is a 159 and I've been averaging a 161 but haven't taken that many PTs (8, to be exact).

My goal is to get a 167-170, which I know is not possible for next week's test, so I will be taking it again in December regardless of what I decide to do next week. Anyway, I'm aiming for that score because I already have quite a lot of undergraduate debt and I would like to receive a substantial scholarship so I won't have to slave for a big (for Oklahoma) law firm in order to pay my student loans - I am more interested in public policy, but don't really know exactly what I want to do yet (don't try to talk me out of law school, I have my reasons, but I don't want to explain them here).

Anyway, all of that to ask - in my situation, would it be smart to just take the test next week because there would be little pressure and I could get a good feel for what test day is like? Or, since I'm fairly certain I will be able to get at least a 165 in December, should I just wait and have one score?

Comments

• rakinalikhanrakinalikhan Alum Member
    329 karma
    if you think you should postpone then you should. it really comes down to scholarship money if you think about it. ive been scoring 155-17 and my dream school (ole miss) has a 75th percentile of 157. that would put my in their 50-75 percentile range so i would have a great shot of beign accepted but i want to do better. i was going to write the september but i thought it over and pushing it to decemeber so i can get in the 160s and get a full ride. i think you should too. itll also give you more time to grind and get the best results :). just my two cents
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    Postpone, for sure. Even though you've taken only eight PTs, that's a solid and reliable average, in my opinion. You should be excited at the opportunity to boost your score in the three months before the December test. You're definitely on the right track.

If you're only happy with a range you know you won't get in September, there isn't much of a point to take the test now. It seems you aren't considering waiting out the next cycle; because of that, I'm inclined to understand the potential benefits of taking next week to get a feel for the test. You won't be wasting a take anyway, since you have a max of three before the upcoming cycle.

Instead of having a score on your record and wasting a take should you for some reason need it, try finding a university that offers a free, proctored, practice exam. I took one before studying, and the event was hosted by Kaplan. My university is a private one and a small one at that. I imagine you'd be able to find something like that in your state.
  • J. TharpJ. Tharp Alum Member
    575 karma
    Thanks guys! @rakinalikhan @danielznelson you've reinforced my thoughts and improved my confidence that I'll be able to reach my goal if I stay at it the next few months! There actually is a free Kaplan PT next week that I'm signed up for. I was hesitant to go because I took my diagnostic at one of these events last spring and I'm assuming they will use the same PT. I got a disappointing 150 then, so I guess I should be happy about my improvement thus far. I think I'll go to the proctored exam after all. Even if it is a PT I've already taken and the score won't be accurate, it could only help!
    4181 karma
    It will. And you'll again experience what you will get on test day.

Also, retakes help almost more than anything else.
    575 karma
    @danielznelson I haven't ever retaken a PT and I didn't even know that was a strategy, so double thanks!
  • kirstinlynn.kleinkirstinlynn.klein Free Trial Member
    2 karma
    If you postpone then would you be withdrawing? Since the deadline to change your test date was on Aug, 30th if I am correct...? I'm only asking because I am contemplating doing the same thing.
    4181 karma
    Oh man! Retakes are the best! You will almost surely miss new questions that you clearly don't understand 100%, it gives you an opportunity to work on mechanics and techniques without wasting new material, and it tests your ability to learn from your past mistakes. I try to wait at least three months before taking a retake, so I remember little.
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    I have never done a retake ever. It is funny how no matter how long you have been studying and preparing there are always new things you learn. I have used this strategy on LG sections but never thought about doing it on a whole PT. @danielznelson you have given me some new strategies if I need to retake in December (especially since I will be low on new material). Thank you!
    575 karma
    @kirstinlynn.klein Yep :( You can withdraw up to the day before the test. You don't get a refund, but law schools you are applying to won't be able to see that you've postponed (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone!).
  • ajcrowelajcrowel Free Trial Member
    207 karma
    One thing to add for consideration.

Most state schools (excluding UMich, Berke, UVA, Texas) treat all LSAT scores above the 75th percentile the same. It's highly unlikely you'll get any more money there with a a 169 than you would with a 161. State schools need to have good numbers (of course). It's more cost effective to shell out X amount of dollars to 2 students who score 160's than shell out X dollars to one student who scored a 166. Although it's anecdotal I have 6 friends who all applied to the same 3 state schools (Arkansas, Mississippi, and Missouri) last cycle (all had GPA's well above the 75th). Two of those people had LSAT's 3 points above the 75th, one had an LSAT 4 points above the 75th and the other 3 had LSATs 6+ points above (one of those was 14 points above the 75th). All of my friends got accepted to all the schools and ALL received very similar scholarship offers (60%-100%). Those who got the lower end of the scholarship range were foolish by applying in February when much of the money was probably already allocated.

Therefore, if you're scoring above the 75th percentile and your GPA is on track for admission, from a purely rational perspective, I would advise against you spending another 160+dollars and taking in December. Take Saturday, score a 158+ and enjoy OU at reduced tuition!
    575 karma
    thanks @ajcrowel! I remember my advisor saying something like "you're not going to receive a lot more financial aid for a 165 than you would with a 158" but I just thought if I did well above a 165, I might be able to get a full ride or something. I think I'll just wait for peace of mind, but this thought will definitely help me feel more zen on test day!