Non-LSAC logic game practice

merileeemerileee Member
I'm still drying my tears after writing last weekend wahhhh. My question moving forward is regarding non prep test logic games and if anyone knows of any good resources? I have done every single prep test logic game section repeatedly and consistently score -1 to -0 with plenty of extra time, however the computer virus game as well as game 4 from the experimental section really messed me up. I think it would be helpful to practice on new "fake" games in order to prevent such a terrible shock to my system next time (even though now all I do is think about all the ways I could have attacked those stupid games).

Thanks!

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @merileee said:
    I think it would be helpful to practice on new "fake" games in order to prevent such a terrible shock to my system next time
    The last thing you want to do is work with fake LSAT questions. Companies such as PR do this because they don't want to pay copyright fees. You're better off drilling real LG questions even if you've seen them before than drill fake LG questions you've never seen before. They're practically weightless when it comes to honing down LSAT skills.
  • merileeemerileee Member
    39 karma
    @montaha.rizeq Thanks for your thoughts - I hear what you're saying completely. I just think I'm at the point where I'm looking for random kooky games to supplement my setups because I really don't want to panic the next time I see something unfamiliar. I keep going over all the old games and am super sad that so many sections were so straight forward. I totally think they have caught on to the fact that most people are super savvy test takers and have figured out how to master the basic setups.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @merileee bad idea. I totally get where you're coming from but you have not idea how similar the "fake" questions are to the official questions. I don't think anybody knows exactly what they're testing otherwise the test would've been cracked open years ago. I just think you're opening yourself up to a lot of unknowns. We often hear things like, "The LSAC commonly uses..." or "Whenever you see xxx you know they mean..." What happens if you get used to all this stuff from the "fake" questions but it isn't common for the official questions? I realize I've opened up a whole new can of worms, but the point is you never know. I just don't think it's worth it. If you want to see new questions just change the variables from ABCDE to HIJKL or change fruits in the fruit stand to sea shells on the shelf or something. That's all they do anyway. Also, the "basic set-ups" you've mastered weren't always so basic to you. These "kooky" games you're referring to have to be studied just like the others were. They're just kooky because you aren't used to them. With practice they'll become "basic set-ups" to you as well.
  • LSATman1LSATman1 Alum Member
    edited September 2016 386 karma
    Manhattan has about 40 free games: https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/studentcenter/logic-games/. These are slightly harder than most LSAT games

There's also a book called "Logic Games for Wannabe Lawyers": https://www.amazon.com/Logic-Games-Wannabe-Lawyers-Zegarelli/dp/1454912022. These tend to be easier than LSAT games.

Nothing can replace real games, but these are another resource
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    @merileee do not do it. Retake real LG sections just cut back on time even more. If you can finish a section in 25 minutes or less no matter what they throw at you, you will be able to handle it.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    I've been thinking on this one. It has been conventional wisdom for forever: do not use unofficial prep material. Given the new LGs though, I've been giving it some thought. I've concluded that the convention still holds. Believe me, I understand the temptation. Two of my three takes contained notorious new games and it does get me thinking: What if I'd done a lot of weird, unofficial games and run across 77.3 and 79.4 before? I'd've been at a huge advantage. It seems reasonable, except the made up games are all based on familiar game types, so you're not going to see them anyway. You'll only get bad practice on the games you've got to be lightning fast and 100% accurate on. Your best bet is to get to the curve breaker game with enough time to brute force it if you can't figure it out.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    edited September 2016 3197 karma
    @LSATman1 said:
    Manhattan has about 40 free games: https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/studentcenter/logic-games/. These are slightly harder than most LSAT games
    While non LSAT written materials are usually often bad, these arent too bad, and might be good to mix in with games you've already done implementing the shorter time strategy.

There are also the India LSAT games if you need some additional LSAC material to practice with. They have 4 published tests available for free for students to practice on. Still not the US LSAT, but LSAC written.
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    There is a logic game buried somewhere in the discussion archives that had 7sage users as the game pieces. It was kind of fun to do and would be a fresh game for you. I will try to find it for you.
    11542 karma
    @stepharizona said:
    Still not the US LSAT, but LSAC written.
    That's the best option for someone seeking a new game they've never seen before. Thanks Steph!
    11542 karma
    @desire2learn said:
    There is a logic game buried somewhere in the discussion archives that had 7sage users as the game piece
    LOL
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    I did several of the Manhattan games and found they were not that great (or so I thought at the time, I haven't looked at them recently). They just didn't have a similar feel to them. However, it your end goal is just practicing responding to new experiences they might provide some of that. Overall I don't think they mirror the actual games all that well (but, again, I only did about 10 of them).
  • merileeemerileee Member
    39 karma
    @tanes256 @LSATman1 @nader.parham @"Cant Get Right" @stepharizona @desire2learn Thanks everyone for your input and the links! I do have the India lsat games but I guess I just felt super disappointed last Saturday because games are far and away my best section and I panicked. I can finish all of 1-78 in under 30 and didn't want to feel like I was "wasting" this time by redoing the same games over and over.