Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blind Review Laze

LSATHopeful-2LSATHopeful-2 Alum Member
in General 109 karma
Hey Guys,

I seem to have a dilemma. I cannot Blind Review. Well, I CAN Blind Review, I just can't bring myself to do it. As I'm going through the curriculum I'm doing section worth of LR questions (about 25 questions) on the video set I just watched. I recently finished the MSS video set and then did about 25 MSS questions. First timed, and then I tried BRing. HOWEVER, I LEGIT GET SO LAZY AND SO IMPATIENT WITH FINDING MY SCORE THAT I DON'T FOCUS OR EFFECTIVELY BR.

Are there ANY tips on how to force myself to BR properly. I may try doing less questions - maybe that will help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated because I know I'm losing out on valuable points by BRing like a chump. I'm not sure if I need motivation, or a better strategy or whatever.

Thank you,

Comments

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    Are you only BRing questions you aren't certain about?

Definitely do less if it's an issue. I don't think your struggles with BR are particularly unique. Honestly, I only BR a few questions at a time before taking a break or something. I go at it pretty slowly, to say the least.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    Yeah, this is really difficult at first. With time, you'll learn to place less and less attachment to your score and more and more attachment to the level of understanding you are able to achieve.

Like Daniel mentioned, you're only supposed to BR questions you aren't confident about, so maybe that'll help if that's not what you've been doing.

It sounds like you understand that the BR is where the real learning happens and that you're shooting yourself in the foot, haha. So you've just got to place less emphasis on your score. Or, if it helps to think of it this way, place more emphasis on your BR score.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    It sounds like you understand that the BR is where the real learning happens and that you're shooting yourself in the foot, haha. So you've just got to place less emphasis on your score. Or, if it helps to think of it this way, place more emphasis on your BR score.
    Yup, I would rather see someone struggling with BR that understands its value than someone struggling with BR because they think it's pointless. And yes to more emphasis on your BR score, that should help with not dying to find out your initial score lol, it does for me :D

Slow and steady wins the race! I also think doing a few questions at a time with BR will help with your dilemma. It also helps to tell yourself your doing this to genuinely learn the material. :)
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    I agree that at first it is more difficult. It never gets "easy" to have the patience to do it right but it does get easier. When I first started it was brutal. Now it is just something I know I need to do. Part of the change comes with realizing over time that your "immediate" score is not that important. That is tough at the beginning because of the natural curiosity. As you become more seasoned you realize that true learning and improvement are all that really matter and it makes BRing less difficult because the need for immediate gratification lessens. I also think it is more difficult to BR a huge stack of the same question type. When you do it for PTs there is at least some variety.
  • jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
    822 karma
    I'm going to echo what others have already said on here. I totally get how you feel. I honestly still feel that way about BR sometimes. But it does help if you place your emphasis on your BR score, rather than on your timed score. Don't BR to the point where you get exhausted and burned out.

What I did is I usually started my BR process with my favorite section (LG) because that's where I have the last amount of questions circled, and I can calmly review everything and make sure I got it right. Once I've worked through that section I either follow up with some drills or revisit the CC if I had trouble with one of the games. Depending on how much time that takes up, I move on to LR or I call it a night.

I do the same thing the next day and get through as much information as I can without completely mentally exhausting myself. My BR process is part of my drilling and learning process throughout the week. When you find yourself getting lazy or not absorbing any information anymore, take a break. Then revisit the material, and if its still not sticking, you're probably done for the day and will need to resume fresh the next day.
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited October 2016 10774 karma
    I hate BRing too. I find it most helpful to BR with a study budy. If you can't find one in person, there are a lot of amazing people on this forum that you can study together with on skype etc.

I find it very helpful when I have set up a time with a person to BR certain section/test. It motivates me to BR with a purpose and the whole process doesn't feel as much of a drab. :)

• LSATHopeful-2LSATHopeful-2 Alum Member
    109 karma
    Thanks a lot guys!! The words of encouragement and the shared experience is helping. I'm going to strive for a higher BR score every time, instead of a higher actual score. I think this will help a lot. I'm also going to try to do less questions at a time, maybe only 12 at a time.

Thanks again for the help everyone :)
  • silvia.lazosilvia.lazo Member
    2 karma
    Try finding a Sherpa friend. Maybe reviewing it together with someone may be more productive. Study buddies can be an effective way of learning --bcoz of mutual teaching/discussion.