Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How are powerscore workbooks?

juhiparsanajuhiparsana Alum Member
I've recently ordered Kaplan for LR but I feel like I need to practice LR much more. I've read here before that powerscore bibles aren't that good. But I want to know how the workbooks are. Are they helpful if I just want to practice LR more?

Comments

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited October 2016 4141 karma
    Nope I wouldn't do it only because I started with Powerscore and wasted my time having to un-learn some notations and bad habits that were utterly useless. Don't make my mistake! Use that money on something fun or delicious or 7Sage because the Powerscore Workbooks are great only if you want to drill Powerscore methods. If you want to foolproof your LG 7Sage style or improve on your LR don't do it. I wasted so much time when I started learning their trademarked notions and terms. I saw a much greater improvement using 7Sage for LG (even Manhattan is better imho). The more you use the workbooks, the further down the PS rabbit hole you go.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I sort of agree with @nessa.k13.0

However, I actually like the Powerscore Bibles ... kinda (at least the LR/LG Bible)
    They're useful for learning the basics if you don't have 7Sage, but there is no question 7Sage is better just by virtue of the fact you get way more information than a book is going to contain.
    Also, if you aren't interested in a course and looking for books, Manhattan Prep LSAT is far superior to Powerscore, at least in my opinion. Their diagramming is cleaner and simpler like 7Sage.

I used the Bibles for a few weeks before signing up for 7Sage and didn't really see any improvement... I also had the 2015 Kaplan workbook and it uses a lot of new questions that get burned up and again, they aren't very helpful with teaching you how to do things. I think they sort of count on you doing a trial and error approach through the ton of questions they give you in their books. But it comes at the cost of burning a bunch of stuff from the 50s and 60s.

I would stay away from Kaplan. They're great for MCAT/GMAT/GRE, but they fall really short with the LSAT.
  • nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited October 2016 4141 karma
    Yeah @"Alex Divine" is there much to gain though from Powerscore's LG? I'd say no, not in comparison to 7Sage's free posting of all the LG sections. I started fool proofing my LG section and had minus 0 in sections with the free 7Sage material. If you use the Powerscore workbooks for LG you end up having to memorize their notations and strategy which is not as time efficient as Manhattan or 7Sage. On those grounds I think it's a waste of time because if you want to go back and improve your LG timing you have to learn JY's method of solving as much as you can up front before going intro the questions. The Powerscore workbooks wasted a lot of my time but if you are to go with the Powerscore method then by all means use the workbooks.
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10789 karma
    I would have to agree with 7sage being superior to Bible in terms of getting more bang for the buck. 7sage also has a lot of drills!! and I mean a lot with some amazing explanations. So you can try it that way too.

*but I would have to agree with @"Alex Divine", I liked the Powerscore too as a beginners guide, the only thing is 7sage has everything Powerscore has plus a lot more.
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited October 2016 2098 karma
    @juhiparsana to be honest I did not finished Power Score LR and LG workbooks but I bought them at the same time I signed up for 7Sage course and came to the realization that 7Sage provides much better returns for my time given the amount of time I have for Prep time is extremely limited. If someone studies for LSAT 4 hours a day for a full year they only have 1460 it might sounds like a lot of time but trust me when dead time and PT time are taken out it would be around 1000 hours only.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27861 karma
    I worked through about half of the LR. I just didn't get anything out of it. I stuck with Powerscore for a while longer actually, but even before I determined Powerscore wasn't working for me it was clear I wasn't getting anything at all from the workbooks.
  • notguilty90notguilty90 Free Trial Member
    56 karma
    All Workbooks are absolute waste; basic copy of drill in bibles + some real lsat questions I'm sure you can find for free! RC bible also waste; definitely put me on the wrong path of underlining, circling, and other such wastes of time on RC... LR + LG bible are great though, perfect to build a solid foundation.