Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I love the word, "Although" in an LR argument (please correct me if I am wrong)

Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
in General 2098 karma
Some background information, I am a ELS students and some of the PT 70+ arguments are really convoluted for me (language wise) so I am trying to get into the habit of not reading the part of LR argument that starts with although as it is not an essential part of the argument except for agree/disagree questions. Do you think it is a bad habit? I have not been burnt by it yet. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma
    As sort of a general rule, I would be very weary about selectively skipping parts of an LR argument based on the appearance of a single word. There is simply too much room for that formula to go wrong in my estimation.

What I would do instead is get into the habit of reading what the although is addressing, putting it aside for a moment and being ready to use what the although is addressing if needed. If possible you can also read it once through without the although and then once again with the although. This is a method that runs through the 7 sage question explanations and has really helped me. I will be on the look out this week for problems that contain an although so I could provide you with further details.
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    @David3389 I agree with you that general rules does not work on LSAT and my bad I may have phrased my question wrongly I just speed up when I read them to the point that I cannot recall what I just read. I am running out of time in LR sections and I am trying to find ways to save some time in addition to skipping strategy. So rereading is probably is out of question for me. Please let me know if you come across any question that contradicts this strategy.
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma
    Hi Nader :)

For stimulus that start with although, I have often found that when the author does bring his main point or premise he does so using referential phrasing that only makes sense when you read that although statement. So up to you, but I end up kind of finding that statement useful to understand what the author means.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2016 23929 karma
    Yeah, I'll just second what the others have already said.

First, I think you should err on the side of prudence and not skip any words on the LSAT. Like @David3389 says, there is simply too much that can go wrong. If tricks like this worked, the psychometricians who create these tests would be out of work sooner than later.

Second, like @Motivated explains, reading that although statement can be useful, especially when the author employs the oft-used referential phrasing.

• Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    @Motivated thanks for mentioning that I guess you are right, they usually do use referential phrasing with although. @"Alex Divine" I gotta watch out for those psychometricians and referential phrasing making the LSAT interesting :)