Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The word "often"

TheLSATTheLSAT Member
My brothers and sisters of the LSAT (sounds so corny lol),
I understand that many of you are anxiously awaiting your LSAT score; however, I have a question for you. Hopefully, it'll divert you from anxiety for a few minutes haha. On average, how do you interpret the word "OFTEN" in a logical reasoning stimulus?
Would you say if falls within the realm of "many" or "most"?
Thank you all.

Comments

• desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    Ambiguous. LSAC wants you to fall into the trap where you project. I would take it to mean anywhere from just about nil to just about every time. When you see it would want to be ready to keep it or eliminate it based on whether other ACs give stronger answers (I feel like they use this sort of thing most in strengthen/weaken type ambiguity).
  • TheLSATTheLSAT Member
    301 karma
    You are correct in saying that it depends. I have seen both variations. One in which it is interpreted as most, and another in which it is interpreted as many. However, my question was on average, what is it interpreted as? I feel like there has to be a starting point in relation to the dictionary definition, otherwise the word could be interpreted as you wish. What do you think? @desire2learn
  • TheLSATTheLSAT Member
    301 karma
    Even if we take the dictionary definition, it is still ambiguous like you said because the dictionary defines it as "many times." How many is many times though? More than half? Or less than half? Or half?
    It is confusing.
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    I think my default would be less than half just to be on the safe side because my personal natural inclination would be to skew toward more than half. That way it helps me keep both possibilities in mind.
    I would stay away from a default setting that could be used against you. If I already am thinking more than half and it is being used as less than half I would be screwed. Basically, any time you read it an alarm should go off in your head to proceed carefully.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma
    It's one of those words you can make mean what you want. It's totally relative and subjective.
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    Listen to the Weeknd lol.. I think he covered every meaning
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10789 karma
    The only thing I remember about the word "often" is from Powerscore and it says don't take "often" to mean "frequently".