Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Statement: Do I Need To Include Why Law School?

Cayenne43Cayenne43 Alum Member
edited October 2016 in Law School Admissions 195 karma
Does my personal statement need to tell admissions why I want to attend law school? I have written a personal statement on a topic where it might feel contrived to suddenly end with why I want to attend law school. But is that what admission officers expect? I will add that I have been out of school for 3.5 years.

I am writing a diversity statement. Should I just include why I want to attend law school in my diversity statement?

Comments

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    No, but you may if you want and if it fits in naturally. Neither of your statements really have to address the reasons why you want to attend law school. Your personal statement should reveal characteristics, circumstances, et cetera, that help clarify and illuminate who you are. Your diversity statement should focus on something unique about you. Topics could range from your minority status to your first-gen college experience.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @danielznelson said:
    No, but you may if you want and if it fits in naturally.
    Yeah, if you can make it fit without it just being a ...." and that's why I want to attend X Law school" then you certainly could.
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7272 karma
    As the others said, you don't have to pivot to law school unless the school asks about your motivation for applying—but it's a tidy way to end many essays.

About 4/5s of the essays I edit wind up gesturing at the applicant's professional ambitions.