Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should one take a diagnostic before starting the CC or after?

thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
edited October 2016 in General 1363 karma
Hey everyone!

So I'm contemplating on whether I should re-write the diagnostic test. I wrote one a couple of months back (July, I think). Scored a 153 (LG: 15/23, LR 1 and 2: 15/25, RC: 20/27) . However, I sort of lost track of time as I was taking the test -- I got really involved with the questions because I found them intriguing and just wanted to spend time trying to figure them out. I think I probably went 10 - 15 mins over on each section. Just an estimate though, not entirely sure.

I was contemplating on re-writing it before starting the CC. Should I? I honestly would prefer it if I wrote it after completing the CC (partly because I feel like it might be a bit demoralizing). I know people are divided on this so I'm not entirely sure if that's a good decision. Thoughts?

Comments

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma
    Hi @thisissparta ,

It's completely optional. It is recommended that you take the June 2007 diagnostic before the curriculum. However, I never did, and I'm sure many others didn't. It would be helpful to see how much you really learned and improved while doing the curriculum but in the grand scheme of things I think it's pretty insignificant. In my opinion, the most valuable learning comes after you have completed the core curriculum, taken a PT, and refer back to the core curriculum for problem areas.

Hope this helps!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @thisissparta I'd write one. Like @jknauf said, the June 07 is a good option. It is available free online: http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source/jd-docs/sampleptjune.pdf

7Sage also includes all the explanations for every question. I would take it under strictly timed conditions using the 7Sage proctor app, and gauge where you are re-starting from.

Also, like @jknauf says the score doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. But I do think having a solid score to measure progress from is important!

Good luck!
  • nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited October 2016 4141 karma
    Yeah I totally agree with @jknauf and @"Alex Divine" ! If anything, taking a diagnostic test is a nice little humbling experience that helps provide a dose of understanding regarding how challenging the LSAT can be. It also shows you how/why one should take studying for the LSAT seriously.
  • thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    1363 karma
    Thanks @jknauf, @nessa.k13.0 and @"Alex Divine"! Out of curiosity @jknauf, do you, by any chance, regret not taking the diagnostic? I mean, since you didn't have an initial score to help gauge your progress?
  • jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma
    No not at all. I think my mindset after the core curriculum was something along the lines of "ok, the foundation is laid, time to start building" and I never really put much more thought into it. Like @nessa.k13.0 said I'm sure it would be a humbling experience. To be completely honest though, when I considered writing a PT before the core curriculum I knew I would get my ass kicked and I would be discouraged if I saw a real timed score. That's arguably why I never wrote one.

Now I write at least 1 PT a week, going to start writing 2 soon, and I'm happy with my scores but by no means complacent. I still have a long journey ahead to reach the ever elusive 170s.