Mistakenly de-registered from December LSAT

newelljeff71newelljeff71 Member
in General 11 karma
I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to what I can do, and what my chances are of success at this point. I wrote the September LSAT, and while awaiting my score I had a bad feeling that I didn't perform as well as my PTs. I emailed LSAC wondering if I registered for December in advance (to ensure a seat at the seating closest to where I live) if I could receive a full refund if I liked my September score (similar to what is happening for December/February takers). I was told no, but I can register late and request a refund for the late fee, and a refund request form was attached to the email. I got my score back and it was a 167, lower than any of my PTs and much lower than my average. Right away I registered for December LSAT, and a few days later requested a refund for the late registration fee (filled out the form, and explicitly asked in the email for a refund just for late registration portion). Just an hour ago I noticed that instead of refunding my late registration fee, they gave me a partial refund for registration and canceled my registration. I looked closer and apparently the form they sent me was only for asking for partial refunds (which I kind of already knew but since mine was an unusual refund request, I assumed they just didn't have a document for it, which is why I explicitly stated I wanted a refund for late fee). And so now I'm stuck not registered, and am wondering if I call tomorrow what my chances are that they rectify this problem. I want to apply for this admission cycle and know I can do much better than a 167, so I'd be devastated if I have to take a year off to allow me to rewrite LSAT. My dream is Harvard, so a 167 will likely not cut it in combination with my 3.85.

Comments

• speedwagonspeedwagon Alum Member
    edited November 2016 393 karma
    I would call them and throw it at their feet. They can do whatever they want but they are the only ones that can help you and it is 100% up to them. I would emphasize the parts of the story where you wrote in the email that you just wanted your late fee returned + I would have that email ready to back up your story. Fingers crossed! LSAC giveth and LSAC taketh away and I hope it turns out.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @speedwagon said:
    I would call them and throw it at their feet. They can do whatever they want but they are the only ones that can help you and it is 100% up to them. I would emphasize the parts of the story where you wrote in the email that you just wanted your late fee returned + I would have that email ready to back up your story. Fingers crossed! LSAC giveth and LSAC taketh away and I hope it turns out.
    This sounds like the way to go. Call for sure. Good luck my friend and sorry to hear about this.
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    @newelljeff71 I am sorry to hear this happened to you, this is my nightmare call them and as mentioned above tell them you have sent them email regarding the refund only for registration and hopefully they would fix it. If they do not solve your problem by calling make sure send the an email and detail the whole incidence. Good luck and please let us know what happened.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27859 karma
    Yeah, make sure you have all of those emails at your finger tips when you call. With things like this, the key is to not give up. If the guy that answers the phone can't do it, ask to speak to a supervisor or whatever. If this turns out not to be an easy fix, you may have to raise a little hell. It's possible there is a policy that will make it impossible, you've just got to push it as far as it can be pushed to make sure that's the case. Just don't take no for an answer until you've gotten a no from the highest levels.

Good luck. And worst case scenario, most schools are accepting February scores this year:/
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @newelljeff71 don't give up. If all else fails take it to social media. People always seem to get results when they're blasted! Make sure that the account you're posting from isn't private so that others can share.
  • newelljeff71newelljeff71 Member
    11 karma
    Thanks everyone for the comments! I called this morning as soon as their office opened, and the woman said she couldn't do anything on the phone but to forward my emails in. So I did, and I just received an email back saying that as per their policies, once a refund has been issued they cannot reinstate my registration. So it sounds like I am SOL unfortunately. I am going to try calling in again, but I am not too optimistic at this point.
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    That's awful. My condolences. I hope you get someone on the phone who has some human decency. Wow.