Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

4th logic game from PT 72. your thoughts?

DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
in General 760 karma
during the timed test i got to the 4th game and froze. any similar games? i kept rereading the paragraph to understand the set up for it. what were your thoughts?

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited November 2016 8705 karma
    I've done the game about 15 times. The game itself is predicated almost entirely on seeing that M must pass to J. This is deduced by combined three basic elements of the stimulus and rules: 1. that each worker must actually work on a piece each day (meaning that no worker can not be listed on any of the days.) 2. that no worker can pass to themselves. and finally that both L and K cannot pass to J. At that point your setup should have revealed that only M can pass to J. Hindsight is 20/20, but our job on really tough games should be twofold: solve them effectively or if that fails: minimize the damage and collect the points you can.

Doing the above work to derive the key inference nets us question 19, question 20 and goes a long way to answer question 23. that gives us 3/5. If our fundamentals are strong on the prior games, this should give us 21/23 for games on PT 72, prior to taking a shot at questions 21 and 22.
  • DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    thanks @David3389 i really appreciate your thoughts on this game. do you know any other games like this? i made the inference that m passed to j but i still didn't understand the set up for this game
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8705 karma
    I don't off the top of my head know of any similar games to this one. PT 11 Game 4 is in the same ballpark, but I'm not ready to call that similar. There are games that are similar in their strangeness and difficulty lending themselves to immediate setups though: PT 77 Game 3 for instance, PT 40 Game 3, PT 6 game 4.

I think this game teaches us something valuable that I have learned from doing about 975 total games. When faced with a new game that doesn't fit the mold of something we can recall, it has behoved me to not try to force out a preconceived setup. In fact, doing so might be detrimental to my score. It might sound counter-intuitive but sometimes, forcing a traditional setup might do more harm than good.
  • DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    @David3389 said:
    I think this game teaches us something valuable that I have learned from doing about 975 total games. When faced with a new game that doesn't fit the mold of something we can recall, it has behoved me to not try to force out a preconceived setup. In fact, doing so might be detrimental to my score.
    @David3389 very insightful!