Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Take test in December or February?

johanna586johanna586 Alum Member
in General 202 karma
Hey guys, first time poster here. I've been studying on and off for about 8 months. I've delayed taking the LSAT twice (never signed up) because I didn't feel like I was going to be ready. When I first started in February - May, I was only studying about once or twice a week, so not much. Then I was pretty good for 2 weeks and then immediately took 2 months off. I felt that the only way to kick my but into studying was to register. So I'm currently registered for December, but I am NO where close to where I want my score to be, so I am considering delaying it again, but keeping up the same studying intensity. I am not applying this cycle. I guess the only draw backs is the fact that this will have been the 3rd time I've delayed taking it and the Feb test is undisclosed.

opinions? Thanks!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    The short answer is: Take the test when you are confident in your ability to score your goal. This confidence should be partly based on your PT average. You'll want your last 5 PTs to be at or above your target score.

You admit in your post that you are no where close to where you want to be score wise. One of the very important lessons I have learned in following LSAT cycles and preparing for it myself, is that LSAT miracles do not happen; you'll ultimately score the score you've earned. This is why so much hard work and time is necessary to do well on this test.

Also, if you're not applying this cycle, I can't think of any reason you need to rush to take this test in December OR February. I would aim for next September with December 2017 as a backup. And who knows, maybe you'll be ready by June? But as I've said, don't bother signing up or taking the test until you are confident in your ability to get the score you want/deserve!

I think your question and concern make it clear that you are smart and prudent and have the ability to do very well on this test. It seems like you just need to get into a good routine and develop the discipline and good habits needed. :)

Good luck!

• esteeroseesteerose Alum Member
    382 karma
    I posted something similar in August because I was registered for the Sept test and was not ready. I went ahead and pushed my test date to December. It turns out that the month of September was very productive for me and my highest PT score yet was right around Sept 24th. Go figure! It's a hard call, but I do not regret changing the date. If I wasn't ready, it would have been a very bad mistake.
  • nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited November 2016 4141 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    LSAT miracles do not happen; you'll ultimately score the score you've earned.
    This is so true. If you know you are not ready, do not take the test. Save yourself from making the same mistakes that some of us have while rushing to take the LSAT knowing you are not prepared for success.
  • EmmaWI88EmmaWI88 Alum Member
    213 karma
    If you're not applying this cycle, it makes no sense to rush to take it in December. You could take it in February or even June. Why waste a test take on a score you know isn't at your full ability?
  • johanna586johanna586 Alum Member
    202 karma
    Thanks guys. I've also been really sick this week, which affirms my decision not to take it this year. I don't want to take it next fall because I have some international travel plans, so it would be best to get it over with within the next 6 months...
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @johanna.ea.greenberg said:
    I don't want to take it next fall because I have some international travel plans, so it would be best to get it over with within the next 6 months...
    Aww.. I hope you feel better!

Again, I would just try to reaffirm that it would be best to take when you are ready. That might be in 6 months, but don't let arbitrary test dates guide you.

Good luck!