Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Special Resume for Cornell Law

davi2526davi2526 Alum Member
Cornell law's app says to include a resume that lists: "Work experience, including full-time, part-time, summer."

So this means I should have a longer resume for Cornell that includes pretty much every job I've had right? Sure, I won't include random jobs during high school, but can I go ahead and include the random summer job during college, and some other part-time jobs I've had? I hadn't included these initially due to getting my resume down to one page, but if Cornell wants it all, I'm happy to oblige.

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Bumping this so more people can see it!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @davi2526 said:
    So this means I should have a longer resume for Cornell that includes pretty much every job I've had right?
    It doesn't mean it should be necessarily longer. I just read the Cornell App and it seems like you would more or less use the same resume you use for other schools. If you worked at a random store in the mall part time during college, you could always leave it off.... If you had a part time internship you think could help demonstrate or speak to your skills and strengths, by all means add it. I still think you should try to keep it about a page because more than one admissions officer has confirmed to me that they spend very little time on resumes (45 seconds to a minute, mostly skimming)
  • davi2526davi2526 Alum Member
    66 karma
    So you're thinking they just mentioning full-time, part-time, and summer basically to say feel free to include whatever employment you think is important (no matter what or when it was)? They're not asking for comprehensive resume?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @davi2526 said:
    So you're thinking they just mentioning full-time, part-time, and summer basically to say feel free to include whatever employment you think is important (no matter what or when it was)? They're not asking for comprehensive resume?
    Correct, that is essentially how I am reading it. That's any resume though. You don't have to put everything/anything you don't want. Of course, feel free to put things that you feel are important or show work experience. What I'm saying is, is that if you bussed tables at the local dive bar, feel free to leave it off in place of something more substantial, such as a research assistant job.
    If you feel like you want to add a comprehensive list, I don't think it will necessarily have any negative effect. However, I have been told that because admissions officers spend so little time looking over a resume, the longer it is, the better chance that important positions get over looked.

As a personal example, I worked at Dicks Sporting Goods, Abercrombie, Banana Republic clothing stores over the course of my high school and college career. However, during that same time, I also held internships/jobs at a F500 company, an ibank, and a couple NYS gov't positions.
    So I'm likely going to forgo including Dicks on my resume to make sure that adcomms see the more pertinent positions.

• davi2526davi2526 Alum Member
    66 karma
    Fair enough - thanks for the help. Good luck on your apps, too - I think I saw in another of your comments that you're applying this cycle as well.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @davi2526 said:
    Fair enough - thanks for the help. Good luck on your apps, too - I think I saw in another of your comments that you're applying this cycle as well.
    Thank you! :)

Not applying this cycle, though. Next cycle for sure!

Good luck yourself! Cornell is high on my list of possibilities. I love NY (especially upstate NY where I'm from) and wouldn't mind 3 years in Ithaca at all!