Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone taking the LSAT for the 1st time?

edited July 2014 in September 2014 LSAT 5 karma
I feel like I am going to have a lot of jitters

Comments

• ana90210ana90210 Alum Member
    5 karma
    I'm taking mine for the first time too! When are you doing yours? I feel as long as you've prepared you can minimize the jitters :).
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    edited July 2014 6866 karma
    There will always be a level of nervousness present on test day that isn't there for your practice, but if you're confident in your preparation you'll be able to mitigate a big chunk of that. By the time you take the real deal, you should have taken a bunch of practice tests, so it'll just be second nature at that point - just another LSAT on just another Saturday. Trust your preparation and it will carry you.
  • chrijani7chrijani7 Alum Member
    827 karma
    Thanks Jonathan! I know there are thousands of posts but hearing it again can sometimes be helpful! Plus, hearing it from you, makes it that much more helpful! Any game changing tips (non-course related) us newbies should know for test day?
  • MelyFiggMelyFigg Alum Member
    30 karma
    Taking mine for the first time as well :) Hopefully I can get to that point where I do minimize jitters
    edited July 2014 6866 karma
    It's nothing that you haven't heard a million times before. You just need to find a method to deal with getting distracted, manage your internal anxiety, and possibly also a way to hold off on going to the restroom for a few minutes in case you need to go during section 3. Different things work for different people; the important part is to make sure you know what works for you and to have it prepared. It doesn't have to be the "best" way - it just has to work.

If you take enough practice tests, the knowledge will flow and you'll get into a groove; once you get started, it'll feel like just another practice test. You just need to get in a position where you (1) actually have that good knowledge base to apply, and (2) don't sabotage yourself by getting in your own way. Mental game is easily just as important as technical game on test day; never forget that.
    6866 karma
    I will also mention that I make this sound a lot easier than it is; I don't mean to be dismissive or downplay the difficulty inherent in dealing with stress. If you're having difficulty finding your way with managing anxiety, reach out to your fellow students (or a tutor) for suggestions.

I've had students where in retrospect, I'm convinced that I taught them very little from a technical LSAT perspective, but because I put them into a better mental state they scored much better the second time around. Don't neglect this very important aspect of the test.
  • Geaux TigersGeaux Tigers Alum Member
    3 karma
    I'll be taking it for the first time in Sept. After the test I will really be able to see what I need to focus more on.
  • karen.garay19karen.garay19 Alum Member
    2 karma
    I did not start to really study for the lsat until this summer. After looking at my study schedule, I question whether I have enough time to prepare. I would take it in December instead, but I'm applying to law school this fall, (early decision for one school).
  • KaamilahKaamilah Alum Member
    2 karma
    I'm taking it for the first time in September and I may do the December one. I'm going to do my best on my first go which is why I'm here. 7Sage really is great for preparing for this test!
    6866 karma
    @karen.garay19: Your decision about when to apply should be shaped by when you take the LSAT, not vice versa. You should only take the LSAT when you're confident that you can get the score you need to get into the schools you want, and if that's not in time for the September administration then you should not take it anyway just because you planned to apply early decision somewhere. A regular application with a solid score is far stronger than an ED application with a borderline score, and you can still apply in January once the December results come back.
  • MonkeyBarMonkeyBar Alum Member
    17 karma
    I was looking around to find advice given on being prepared for the LSAT (also with the assumption that a gd LSAT score will be achieved) vs trying to get in via early decision.

Thanks for the advice Jon.
  • polsckenpolscken Alum Member
    199 karma
    I've found that focusing on my breathing for 10 minutes before a test helps me focus. Also, be aware of your breathing while you test. The brain needs oxygen and lots of it!!