Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is anyone else killing the rainforest in the process of studying? Better method?

monica.kreymermonica.kreymer Alum Member
edited July 2014 in General 12 karma
I started off by doing all of the assignments online and I was just annotating the PDF's and taking notes. Then I got frustrated because I wasn't doing as well as I had hoped, so I started printing off LG sets and PT's. 900 pages later, I think I singlehandedly killed the environment, but my scores have increased substantially. Maybe this is a mental block, but I really perform much better when I can scribble all over the thing. Suggestions? I really don't want to kill all the trees.

PS I am recycling the paper when I am done.

Comments

• Will EdwardsWill Edwards Alum Member Inactive Sage
    175 karma
    Monica, I would relax a little bit. I applaud you for your commitment to the environment, but your paper use isn't destroying the rainforest. When you buy printer paper, look for stuff that has a FSC logo on it. That's the Forestry Stewardship Council. They certify that the products with their logo come from responsibly managed forests. The paper that you use is going to come from the US and Canada, a lot of it from pine "plantations" in the Southern US. The trees here are thinned as they grow, the thinned stuff (they call it slash) becomes paper, the stuff that grows up becomes lumber.

It has also been shown that studying with pencil and paper is more helpful than using a computer, you aren't imagining things.

If you want to really help the rainforest, most of it is cut for exotic wood used in fancy furniture. Or it is cut simply to clear the land and farm beef. So don't eat McDonald's and when you become that big shot attorney, make sure your nice desk is made from some kind of sustainable wood, preferably grown and milled in the US/Canada.
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    If, in studying for the LSAT, you're not going through paper like it's going out of style, you're doing it wrong. The test is a pencil-and-paper test, and you should practice accordingly. Just make sure you follow through with recycling afterward :D
  • lsathopefullsathopeful Alum Member
    263 karma
    @jonathanwang not GTPLGOS (when SLSAT) --> DW -- would that be correct?
    (and the contrapositive: not DW --> GTPLGOS (when SLSAT))
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    You got it!
  • OZzzzzzzzOZzzzzzzz Alum Member
    16 karma
    You could also invest in a tiny dry erase board. The dry erase board is really helpful with the LG sections. Especially if you're practicing game set ups and honing inference making skills. I also like to use both sides of the paper if I choose not to use a dry erase board. For instance, I'll print out one test on one side and then another test on the other side, or else I use one side as printed material and the other side as scrap when I'm practicing.

Once I've used up both sides I shred the paper up in a shredding machine because I like the sound and it makes me feel important; the shreds can be used as mulch or confetti or to grow things, if you're so inclined.
  • chrijani7chrijani7 Alum Member
    827 karma
    THE MADNESS! There must be a better a way! I do not know whether you are doing this already or not, but if you are printing more than 1 page you can print double sided.
  • selinaselina Alum Member
    73 karma
    I print double sided. I have two notebooks with 200 pages. I love the dry erase board idea! Going to buy one now...
  • miriruchertmiriruchert Alum Member
    180 karma
    i would be careful introducing a dry erase board....not available on the test...i think practicing having to cross out and re-write instead of being able to erase parts and building onto the remainder as JY does in those terrific videos is crucial...