LOR - Need your advice

MaritzaaMaritzaa Alum Member
edited December 2016 in General 368 karma
Hey guys! Looking for some advice....

Ok, I'm in a little bit of a bind regarding the professional LOR I am planning to ask my boss to write. I was hoping to ask next year since I will be applying next cycle. I wanted to be prepared to have a good conversation explaining why I want to go to LS, my LSAT score, future job prospects, etc... but unfortunately I'm finding myself having to do this much sooner.

My boss has been battling cancer BUT has been in great shape for a while. I was confident that I had some time to have the "LOR chat" but I just found out that he's hitting the last stretch of his battle (devastating, I know). I feel like I need to have the chat sooner rather than later. My problem is that I haven't taken the LSAT and I'm still researching law schools. I don't feel as confident going in having the conversation since my guess is that he'll grill me about the LSAT and schools (he's a very well known arbitrator-- he's known to grill with questions). I also don't want to sound insensitive going in asking for the letter.

I guess what I would like to know is how YOU would approach this?

Also, how does LSAC and/or schools look at letters that are written well in advance? Should there be mention of his illness? Not sure how to approach this when applying.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    edited December 2016 760 karma
    Is he able to write a letter (both physically and mentally)? You said he's hitting the last stretch of his battle which can be interpreted in many ways. If he's literally on his death bed then no you should not ask for a LOR and yes if you did ask for one it would be very insensitive.
  • lawschoolstuff16lawschoolstuff16 Alum Member
    328 karma
    @"DEC_LSAT" said:
    If he's literally on his death bed then no you should not ask for a LOR and yes if you did ask for one it would be very insensitive.

I agree with this. Use your judgement to determine if it's appropriate to ask for a letter or not. If he's terribly sick to the point that he's not even coming into the office, then you should maybe ask someone else.

To make things easier for him, offer to help write the letter or to at least draft it and then have him go over it. Go in having already anticipated what sorts of questions he'll ask, and with prepared answers to give him.

If you think he'll grill you with questions about law school despite you not being completely certain about it, then go in with a few fake/"half-truths". Say you have x schools as your top schools, you've researched them, you're interested in their programs and so-and-so professors that work there, etc.
    @Mitzyyyy said:

Also, how does LSAC and/or schools look at letters that are written well in advance? Should there be mention of his illness? Not sure how to approach this when applying.

This doesn't really matter. As long as you have a letter, it stays in your account for up to a few years. You can use it whenever you're ready to apply.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"DEC_LSAT" said:
    If he's literally on his death bed then no you should not ask for a LOR and yes if you did ask for one it would be very insensitive.
    Yup - this is what came to mind when I read this. If he's dying, I would probably find someone else. I would find it entirely insensitive if I was dying and someone asked me for a LOR.

• MaritzaaMaritzaa Alum Member
    368 karma
    @DEC_LSAT @lawschoolstuff16 @"Alex Divine"

Thanks guys! No, he's not on his death bed but he did announce his retirement because of his illness. I talk to him everyday and he looks healthy. I just don't know how long that will last and I'm thinking this might be my last chance to ask.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    Yeah, I'd ask. I have no idea what it's like to be dying, but I can definitely imagine that I might very well prefer to feel useful instead of everybody going all sensitive on me. I guess it depends on the individual though. If he wants details about the rest of your application, just tell him that you're only just starting the process and that you're going ahead and lining letters up first in order to provide your writers with as much time and flexibility as possible. Presumably, he'll also understand that you need to, you know, go ahead and get his now. Tell him about your prep and expectations and goals and everything if he wants to grill you.
  • lawschoolstuff16lawschoolstuff16 Alum Member
    328 karma
    I would go ahead and ask for a letter then! Seems alright. Definitely agree with what @"Cant Get Right" said about preparing properly for meeting with him and telling him you're in the early stages of your application. :)
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    Yeah, I'd ask. I have no idea what it's like to be dying, but I can definitely imagine that I might very well prefer to feel useful instead of everybody going all sensitive on me.
    Great point!