Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some advice

FiestaNextDoorFiestaNextDoor Alum Member
in General 127 karma
So I recently finished the curriculum and took my first PT last Friday. I improved from my diagnostic but not by a considerable margin. I definitely struggled with pacing and made some errors that I usually wouldn't make. I'm hoping that my test anxiety will go away as I take more PTs and I will be able make the gains that I have been training for. Anyway, I am registered to take the February LSAT. How many prep tests do you all recommend is a good amount to take? My target score is a 165, but I'll be happy to break 160's.

Comments

• dantlee14dantlee14 Free Trial Member
    edited December 2016 617 karma
    This is a comment you'll probably see often, but it's not about the quantity of PT's you take - it's about what you get out of each one. You don't learn or improve anything, per se, by the mere act of taking a practice test. What's more important is that you learn from what you got wrong on a given PT - did you run out of time on RC or LG? Do you have a tough time with weaken the argument or necessary assumption questions on LR? Those are the things you can diagnose by taking multiple PT's, and subsequently focus on improving your understanding of the underlying concepts for each of those issues. But if you're not doing careful blind review for each PT, and diagnosing what you're struggling with, you could take 50 practice tests and see minimal improvement. On the other hand, with careful blind reviewing and focused drilling, 5 fully-timed practice tests could be all you need to break through the 160 barrier. I personally wish I hadn't wasted so many PT's, simply for the sake of doing them, before I caught onto 7sage and the blind review method.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27853 karma
    I don't have anything to add, but I wholeheartedly second @dantlee14 's comment. Well said.
  • FiestaNextDoorFiestaNextDoor Alum Member
    127 karma
    I understand; I am definitely very cognizant of my areas of strength and weakness. For example, my RC skills are pretty strong and LR is improving. My biggest need for improvement is in LG. I am struggling with diagramming inferences and speed, primarily when time is ticking and I the inferences aren't apparent to me. I'll do it afterwards without the time and I get all the inferences/questions correct. @dantlee14 any tips/drills to help with this?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @cpineda813 said:
    Anyway, I am registered to take the February LSAT. How many prep tests do you all recommend is a good amount to take? My target score is a 165, but I'll be happy to break 160's.
    I'd recommend at the very minimum 20 PTs. And it doesn't seem like you're going to be able to fit in 20 PTs with proper review by Feb.

How far off are you from your target score?

If you've just finished the CC, you may want to consider deciding if you are more beholden to a date (Feb) or a score (165). If you focus on the score, then you can just focus on taking the time and amount of tests you need to reach it. Conversely, if you focus on the date, you'll have to rush through material and likely waste it AND likely fall short of your ultimate goal.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @cpineda813 said:
    So I recently finished the curriculum and took my first PT last Friday.
    Also be sure to check out @"Cant Get Right" 's webinar tomorrow night at 8pm EST. It is exactly what you need. It's literally titled: "I'm Done with The Curriculum Now What?"

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/9817/webinar-so-i-m-done-with-the-curriculum-now-what-with-sage-josh-tuesday-december-20-8pm-est

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27853 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    I don't have anything to add
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    Also be sure to check out @"Cant Get Right" 's webinar tomorrow night at 8pm EST. It is exactly what you need. It's literally titled: "I'm Done with The Curriculum Now What?"
    Oh yeah, lol, what am I even talking about. I have TONS to add! Hope you can make it!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    I have TONS to add!
    Can't wait myself!