Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Watch Markings

LnanncampbellLnanncampbell Alum Member
in General 104 karma
I am wondering how others mark time while in the exams? If you are just using one watch, do you familiarize yourself with/memorize where the minute hand should be during each set? What I have been doing in my practice sets is using white-board marker "tick" marks on the face of my watch to denote 7 minute sections, and I've found this to be helpful, but am not sure if this is allowable on exam day, unless I erase the marks I made pre-exam and spend the first minute using my highlighter to write on 7 minute chunks (unless tick marks on watches are allowable). (Have also considered using fine black glue just to slightly darken the lines in the 7 minute chunks so that the ticks appear less noticeable). I am using my watch less and less, though, so perhaps this will be completely redundant, but just wanted to hear what others were doing! (This became more of a concern for me after I heard using multiple watches was not permitted on test day).

Comments

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma
    @Lnanncampbell said:
    What I have been doing in my practice sets is using white-board marker "tick" marks on the face of my watch to denote 7 minute sections, and I've found this to be helpful, but am not sure if this is allowable on exam day, unless I erase the marks I made pre-exam and spend the first minute using my highlighter to write on 7 minute chunks (unless tick marks on watches are allowable).
    Hmm, interesting. I don't know if thats allowed either. I wouldn't spend any test time marking your watch lol

Most people just set their watches to exactly 12. This was they know exactly where they are in regards to the 35 minutes. They set it back to 12 again after each section.
  • camcam Alum Member
    349 karma
    @jknauf said:
    Most people just set their watches to exactly 12. This was they know exactly where they are in regards to the 35 minutes. They set it back to 12 again after each section.
    That is what makes the most sense to me, but I also spent the money on the LSAT Mastermind Watch. The 35min block is color coded with 4 sections. I have found that to be beneficial to see where I'm at without having to think any harder than I have to. I figure, once I get the LSAT score I want or I use up all three attempts, I'll sell it.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27859 karma
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about watch management under time. Having a watch face with color coded 8:45 sections can be kinda useful, but even that is largely arbitrary. Very few games/passages hit the average time in reality. For most games at the 8:45 mark, you've either fallen behind or gotten ahead.

Any more than a quick glance 3 or 4 times a section is too much in my book.
  • WalliumsWalliums Member
    373 karma
    @cam said:
    That is what makes the most sense to me, but I also spent the money on the LSAT Mastermind Watch. The 35min block is color coded with 4 sections. I have found that to be beneficial to see where I'm at without having to think any harder than I have to. I figure, once I get the LSAT score I want or I use up all three attempts, I'll sell it.
    You've made me wonder, where's a good place to look for used versions of the watch?
  • camcam Alum Member
    349 karma
    @Walliums said:
    You've made me wonder, where's a good place to look for used versions of the watch?
    There are a couple of watches up on TLS in the for sale forum. Otherwise, I'm not sure. I'm thinking I'll use Ebay or TLS when I am done with mine.
  • Creasey LSATCreasey LSAT Member
    423 karma
    @cam said:
    That is what makes the most sense to me, but I also spent the money on the LSAT Mastermind Watch.
    This watch is the bomb and I've been using it for months. Totally worth the investment imo because all you have to do is click a button and the watch resets itself. It gives me that extra 10 seconds between sections to literally put the pencil down and just take breath.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I'm a big fan of the 180 Watch, but I've also heard great the Mastermind Watch.

I also use this one, and think it's unbeatable for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JVP0FU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No need to spend $70 on a watch. Just get an adjustable diving bezel.
  • LnanncampbellLnanncampbell Alum Member
    104 karma
    Thanks everyone for commenting! I am definitely going to think more on these options! I definitely like the idea of the (very well deserved) short break between sections @"Creasey LSAT". Just still holding out on paying that much money for it! And thanks for the alternative Alex! I will look into that option for sure!
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @cam said:
    I also spent the money on the LSAT Mastermind Watch. The 35min block is color coded with 4 sections. I have found that to be beneficial to see where I'm at without having to think any harder than I have to.
    Agreed! I think the MM watch is the best LSAT watch out there. Check out my review I made a while back: (btw it still works very well)
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/8240/the-mastermind-lsat-watch-should-you-invest
  • mcmlaw36mcmlaw36 Alum Member
    631 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    I'm a big fan of the 180 Watch
    Just a heads up - I actually paid the full $80 (I think it was?) on a brand new watch off their website and it completely broke after a few months. Buttons stopped working altogether. Also, when the watch WAS usable, the reset button sometimes took multiple clicks to actually reset. I spent more time being nervous about it not re-setting properly on time for the next section that it totally and effectively took my attention away from the LSAT (and therefore, distracted me from my main focus).

People, people! Please be careful with these watches. Money was less important to me than obtaining a great, reliable watch, so I spent the extra $ up front and look where it got me, lol.

Ended up buying a $10 plain Casio watch off amazon and it is GOLD. I am able to quickly set the watch to 12:00 before every section, reliably, and couldn't be happier with it's functionality. In my opinion, that's all you need.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2017 23929 karma
    Yeah - luckily I haven't had any problems. However, I don't use it as much anymore. I started to realize that these LSAT watches for $70 are largely scams, haha. If a watch is going to be the determinative factor in how your score on this test, then you've got bigger problems to worry about than a watch.

I still might see if I can get a used Mastermind watch for cheap to try out.

I just use one of these: I also use this one, and think it's unbeatable for the price. (Also, I think J.Y. recommended this one ...)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JVP0FU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$13 bucks on Amazon. Rotating bezel, easy to use, durable.

edited January 2017 631 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    LSAT watches for $70 are largely scams
    Haha, YES! I learned the hard way.

This is my watch - I'm pretty sure I got the Casio advice from J.Y. too :)

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000JNKABW/ref=pe_386430_121528420_TE_dp_1

Thought I only paid $10. Guess it was $15, or went up in price. Either way, a worthy investment.
  • camcam Alum Member
    349 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Agreed! I think the MM watch is the best LSAT watch out there. Check out my review I made a while back: (btw it still works very well)
    Your review was part of why I wanted to get one. I read everything I could find on it before spending the money.

The only issue I have had with it is on occasion, I don't get it reset correctly, but that could be handled pretty easily by spending more than a minute with the instructional videos.
    11542 karma
    @cam said:
    Your review was part of why I wanted to get one. I read everything I could find on it before spending the money.

Aw, glad I could help! And yeah it's good to do research before dropping money on something expensive haha :)
    @cam said:
    The only issue I have had with it is on occasion, I don't get it reset correctly, but that could be handled pretty easily by spending more than a minute with the instructional videos.
    Lol, I had the same ish. Just make sure you have it down before you sit for the LSAT (if you haven't already)
    11542 karma
    btw @cam did you opt for the black background or white? I kind of wish I got the black one haha.
    edited January 2017 11542 karma
    @mcmlaw36 said:
    Just a heads up - I actually paid the full $80 (I think it was?) on a brand new watch off their website and it completely broke after a few months. Buttons stopped working altogether. Also, when the watch WAS usable, the reset button sometimes took multiple clicks to actually reset. I spent more time being nervous about it not re-setting properly on time for the next section that it totally and effectively took my attention away from the LSAT (and therefore, distracted me from my main focus).
    I've heard really horrible things about the 180 Watch. I know Nicole used it but other than her saying good things about it, the rest seemed disappointed. That's why I was sort of hesitant to get the MM watch but it truly blows the 180 out the water. It's completely different in all aspects (cheaper, too) and I'm glad I invested. It certainly isn't a deal breaker or the determining factor of getting a high LSAT score but it's super convenient and makes the LSAT journey that much more bearable haha.
    631 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    I was sort of hesitant to get the MM watch but it truly blows the 180 out the water
    Ahhh I so wish I could have that $80 back to buy the MM. It looks awesome, actually. Never looked into this one. I'm writing again in Feb, so unfortunately, by the time it ships out it will be too late.
    11542 karma
    Lol things take FOREVER to ship out to Canada sheesh! @mcmlaw36
    631 karma
    So true!!! and Amazon Canada has limited availability (no MM watches, already checked) :(
  • camcam Alum Member
    349 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    btw @cam did you opt for the black background or white? I kind of wish I got the black one haha.
    I opted for the black, I figured the white would get messed up from being carried in my pocket. I've yet to put it on my wrist since I prefer to have it sitting in front of me.
  • BreakthelsatBreakthelsat Member
    82 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Lol things take FOREVER to ship out to Canada sheesh!
    I got mine in less than a week if you are referring to MM watch :)