Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Splitter Advice

Bobby LuuBobby Luu Alum Member
edited January 2018 in General 88 karma

I haven't tested yet but if my GPA is below the 25th percentile of a school and my LSAT score is above it's 75th percentile, what would my chances look like? Are some schools more generous to splitters than others? I know that every school is different and I'm not expecting any set in stone answers because I know that it's hard to predict splitters, but any input is welcome and appreciated! :) Thank you!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2018 23929 karma

Generally speaking, if your LSAT is above the 75th%tile of a school, your chances will be as good as they can be as a splitter.

Check out mylsn.info and input your GPA/projected LSAT and you'll see how some past splitters fared.

Though, it's impossible to give anything more specific without a school, an actual GPA (how far below 25%tile?), and an actual LSAT score. As you noted above, every school is different. For instance, Columbia favors higher LSATs, Boalt seems to prefer higher GPAs. Schools like NU seem splitter friendly, while others like uPenn do not. As the schools get lower in ranking/tier, they tend to favor splitters more.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

I just want to add that the differential matters. If your LSAT is 5 points above 75th while your GPA is 0.01 below 25th you're pretty much a lock. However a 2.5 GPA could be prohibitive if your LSAT isn't 99th percentile.

Definitely apply broadly to boost your chances at a great school, but put a lot of thought into a safety school with a good reputation in your preferred discipline, or in your preferred geographic area.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Some schools are more generous than others, but you are going to have to apply more broadly because both admissions and scholarships are just going to be tougher to predict for you.