Reverse Splitter Needs Advice - Northwestern

LLLL1111LLLL1111 Alum Member
edited September 2018 in Law School Admissions 53 karma

Hey 7sagers, advice needed:

I took the LSAT three times already with a 162 high score and a 159 average. I don’t know what happened with my last LSAT; I was practice testing in the mid-160s. But anyway, there’s nothing I can do about that now. My GPA is 3.99.

My dream school is Northwestern (I’m from Chicago). I was planning on applying early decision, but given my low LSAT scores, I doubt I’ll get in. Should I still apply early decision? Or should I apply to a different, lower ranked school early decision? Other schools on my list are Georgetown, George Washington, Boston College, Boston University, U of Illinois, etc.

I am planning on going into public interest immigration law and I know Northwestern has a new Pritzker public interest grant so that might help me in addition to my post-grad experience, but not if admissions only cares about the LSAT score and GPA.

Thoughts? Advice? Also, should I write an addendum for my low LSAT score?

Thanks!!

Comments

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

Take the test again in Nov!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

It’s definitely going to be a stretch but if NU is your dream school, ED would help. Is GW a full tuition ED? That might also be a solid choice though. Honestly, my recommendation would be that you just push back a year and keep working on the LSAT until you can get at least upper 160s. Then, ED to NU would be really strong.

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

Second the pushing back a year. One of the hardest things I've done was to skip this past cycle. However, this upcoming cycle I'm in a totally different position. No need to pass on your dream. You are at a 162. That means you will have the score you need by next June/July/Sept to early decision Northwestern. And with a 3.99 and a 169+, I'd be surprised if you didn't get in. Don't let impatience wreck your dream, and also all that money Northwestern throw at you by EDing!

• LLLL1111LLLL1111 Alum Member
    53 karma

Is there no longer a three times per two years limit on the LSAT?

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited September 2018 3652 karma

@ledvorala said:
    Is there no longer a three times per two years limit on the LSAT?

There is no longer a retake limit

• Harvey_lHarvey_l Alum Member
    268 karma

I sixth retaking. I heard some law students argue that there's no such thing as a reverse splitter, because one can always work harder to improve their LSAT scores.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

If your goal is public interest law you should do everything in your power to get that grant from Northwestern or get a scholarship from another target school. There are definitely some good schools that you will be competitive for scholarships with a 162 and your GPA, but the higher your LSAT score the better your chances of getting admitted to a top school (with scholarship money). Financial flexibility will afford you opportunities to do the type of work you want to do, and a degree from Northwestern or a similarly ranked school would also expand your career options.

• Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma

Yep, retake.

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

You're really selling yourself short if you don't retake. If you were to break into the 170s, you're looking at some serious scholarship money and you don't have to ED anywhere.

• LawSkewlProbsLawSkewlProbs Alum Member
    103 karma

You'll definitely break 170 if you keep on pushing forward. You got this.

• marie3lisemarie3lise Free Trial Member
    22 karma

Hi Friend -- I am not sure if you applied ED, but wanted to let you know that IT IS POSSIBLE to reach your goals, and your score DOES NOT define you as a JD candidate. I scored 163 on LSAT #2 and was accepted to Northwestern via ED for fall 2019. Odds were by no means in my favor, but Northwestern was likewise my dream school. I gave my all to my application and did decide to submit an addendum to add color to my score (in my case, I had something personal go disastrously the weekend of my LSAT in September). I have a lot of business and public speaking experience, as well as a high undergrad GPA (like you). It's so easy to reduce an application to the numbers, but that is not the full picture. If you happen to see this response and got in/would like to connect, it would be great to hear from ya! Best of luck!