Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Benefits of applying before LSAT score

gzitogzito Free Trial Member

Hi everyone, I took the February 2018 LSAT. My applications are ready, the only element that is missing is the LSAT score. I am still confused as to whether it is beneficial for me to send my application before the score is released. I know that in this case, law school will put applications on hold until the score arrives. however, once the score is out, how long does it take for the universities to start reviewing the applications? Would this affect the admission process?

Comments

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Do you have any scores on file? If you do, it would be beneficial to send it earlier than possible. You can tell them to evaluate you on the basis of your first score, and perhaps use your latter score for financial aid negotiation or for getting off a wait list

• gzitogzito Free Trial Member
    20 karma

@westcoastbestcoast no, I do not have other scores on file. The February exam was my first LSAT.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

If you are set on applying and attending this cycle no matter the score, you might as well send them and get the advantage of having them in as soon as the LSAT scores can get to them.

If you might wait a cycle, I would probably hold my fire until the scores come out and then send them right away then just in case you decide not to apply after seeing your score. You might as well save the money for next cycle then. If there are any with deadlines near the score release you might want to send these in early anyway. Definitely have all of them ready to send when you get the score email though.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@gzito said:
    @westcoastbestcoast no, I do not have other scores on file. The February exam was my first LSAT.

Personal opinion, I believe you would be doing your app more justice if you waited a cycle and applied next year. You will be able to submit your app earlier, which gives you a higher chance of being admitted to schools and you will be able to get more merit scholarship. Applying next cycle also frees up more time for you to retake for more points if need be.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:

@gzito said:

Personal opinion, I believe you would be doing your app more justice if you waited a cycle and applied next year. You will be able to submit your app earlier, which gives you a higher chance of being admitted to schools and you will be able to get more merit scholarship. Applying next cycle also frees up more time for you to retake for more points if need be.

I think I'd agree here. But if you are totally set on applying this year, yes it's beneficial to submit apps now before the score. Admissions folks will receive the application and likely begin reviewing it before the score posts. Then you can get a decision faster once the score is released. It's a common dilemma for people who took it in December too.

The only down sides are for any schools that you might be borderline on admission, you might want to wait to see the score first. If it's significantly below what would get you in, you might want to hold off on applying until a re-take. But, February LSAT is really the last test you can use for admission this year. So, if you want to have all your eggs in that basket, yes submit apps now. Waiting until after the score posts may mean that you miss the application deadlines.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

Generally it's a bad idea, but Feb or June scores changes things a bit.

The "save your place in line" simply isn't true. Your LSAT/GPA index can move you forward or to the back of the line.

If a school has a late deadline like April for a Feb score I would wait. But if they require an app to submitted before score release I'd submit.

For example ASU, BU and others require you to submit by their deadlines and will hold for June. It's late but not impossible to be admitted. And other have deadlines in July/August.

To echo what other have said you might benefit from sitting out a cycle, especially if deadlines have passed. But a 75% LSAT and at least a 50% GPA will continue to open doors. So let your GPA and LSAT (or expected score) drive your decisions.

4423 karma

@stepharizona said:
    Generally it's a bad idea, but Feb or June scores changes things a bit.

The "save your place in line" simply isn't true. Your LSAT/GPA index can move you forward or to the back of the line.

If a school has a late deadline like April for a Feb score I would wait. But if they require an app to submitted before score release I'd submit.

For example ASU, BU and others require you to submit by their deadlines and will hold for June. It's late but not impossible to be admitted. And other have deadlines in July/August.

To echo what other have said you might benefit from sitting out a cycle, especially if deadlines have passed. But a 75% LSAT and at least a 50% GPA will continue to open doors. So let your GPA and LSAT (or expected score) drive your decisions.

A 75th percent LSAT and 50 percent GPA should open scholarship doors to though. If they don't for some reason, then I would wait a cycle.

If you end up with an offer as good as you would expect to get a year later, it might be good to take it.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@gzito said:
    Hi everyone, I took the February 2018 LSAT. My applications are ready, the only element that is missing is the LSAT score. I am still confused as to whether it is beneficial for me to send my application before the score is released. I know that in this case, law school will put applications on hold until the score arrives. however, once the score is out, how long does it take for the universities to start reviewing the applications? Would this affect the admission process?

The information I've received from a reputable consulting service is that sending in your apps without an LSAT score can be advantageous. Admissions at a lot of law schools is rolling and as such there's always an advantage of getting your apps in sooner (assuming all else is equal). If they have all the relevant info on you ( GPA, PS, DS, LOR, addenda) and all they're waiting on is an LSAT score, it seems it would be a lot easier to evaluate you as a potential admit.

How long it will take schools to review you apps and render a decision is entirely dependent on the school.

3197 karma

Agreed @"Seeking Perfection" but this same doors will open even after deadlines have passed and scholarships likely attached. And a simple check on LSN cN show if you were shorted for a late app.

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited February 2018 4141 karma

@Alex said:

The information I've received from a reputable consulting service is that sending in your apps without an LSAT score can be advantageous. Admissions at a lot of law schools is rolling and as such there's always an advantage of getting your apps in sooner (assuming all else is equal). If they have all the relevant info on you ( GPA, PS, DS, LOR, addenda) and all they're waiting on is an LSAT score, it seems it would be a lot easier to evaluate you as a potential admit.

How long it will take schools to review you apps and render a decision is entirely dependent on the school.

Talking to deans and people at various admissions office has also led me to this^ stance. It’s best to get everything in and note where applicable that you are awaiting a February LSAT score. Schools will prioritize those who apply earlier if it’s rolling. Applying last minute/later in the cycle is a bit of a factor. You should go ahead and send them so your file can go complete. There’s an option to indicate that you have February LSAT score. Write an addendum about it for relevant schools to note why you took the February LSAT as opposed to earlier and why you are applying now vs waiting a cycle or applying earlier in the cycle.

4423 karma

@stepharizona said:
    Agreed @"Seeking Perfection" but this same doors will open even after deadlines have passed and scholarships likely attached. And a simple check on LSN cN show if you were shorted for a late app.

Absolutely, Law School Numbers is a great way to determine what scholarships you shouls have had a decent chance at. If you don't get one in that range it's usually not worth going.

edited February 2018 3197 karma

I also feel it's important to point out this isn't an absolute:

Schools will prioritize those who apply earlier if it’s rolling.

It's to the Deans and Admissions of that schools advantage for you to apply early without a score or pending an updated score. It helps them attain more applicants even from those people who score too low and are rejected (i.e. People who should have waited for a score) They want more applicants, it helps their admission %s. They want their numbers inflated so their "admission difficulty" is higher.

A Dean is never going to tell you to wait and apply once the score is in because then you might not apply at all (if you see your score is too low).

Plus some schools state they won't even start a review until an app is complete or fully updated.

I spent over 14 weeks waiting for a school I applied to in Nov and was just admitted this week (I was not held for a score and they have rolling admission) and also just admitted to a school I applied to on Sunday, who also has rolling admissions.

Both school are similar ranking, medians and %. I was a 75%+ lsat at both and -25% GPA at both and my scholarships were similar and equal to what others have received on LSN. No idea why it took so long at school A and was shocked at school B. As I know people who applied in late Dec who are still waiting on them. I must have filled a "need" they were looking for ¯_(ツ)_/¯

So TONS of people were admitted before me at school A and I jumped over tons of people at school B. And my scholarships were the same as people who applied at the beginning of the cycle and you can see this time and time again for others on LSN (sorting by $$ is super helpful)

Both were rolling admissions both used the same LSAT score & GPA and I didn't apply for a special program.

So yes, it can be advantageous to apply without a score, especially if there's a looming deadline... but it's not the end all be all.

I too have worked with folks at Spivey and sought others advice as well to create my individual app plan.

There is so much to consider when applying, in addition to your numbers including app fees, Fin Aid deadlines, special program deadlines and more. Sometimes an early app will help, Sometimes a late (after the deadline has passed) will also be 100% great if you're number surpass a schools expectations. But it comes down to you, your numbers and your situation.