Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I retake?

RGBeetobeRGBeetobe Alum Member
edited March 2018 in General 142 karma

Like many others I’m feeling sad about my LSAT score and I’d love to get others’ perspective on a (second) retake. I got a 169, which is a few points lower than my PT average. My goal was a 170 so I’m bummed that I came so close but missed the mark. I’m really conflicted about whether or not I should retake- I would only be able to retake in November- I’m working like crazy until June, then going on vacation for a couple weeks in July/August so a June or September exam isn’t realistic. I’m not sure if studying for two and a half months (Aug- October) after a a lengthy break will do much to improve my score, and if it’s worth the time and effort. According to LSAC’s calculator I’ve got about a 50% chance at my target schools. Should I try to be happy with my score, knowing I didn’t reach my full potential, or should I suck it up and study for November?

Comments

• L.EtrangerL.Etranger Alum Member
    72 karma

Following

• Eric25Eric25 Member
    edited March 2018 720 karma

Since you have plenty of time before you need to make a decision, there is no harm in taking time to think about it. That will give you time to actually enjoy the score you did get because it is still an awesome score!! My target score is a 170+ because it gives me the best chance at my dream school while maximizing financial aid, so I know if it was me I would retake because I would never want to look back and think "what If...?"

• 136 karma

Agree with @Eric25 think about how set you are on your target schools/financial aid. You got an awesome score no doubt, but if you are really set on certain schools I would not leave it up to a 50% chance. If you are satisfied with the opportunities (employment opportunities, locations, etc) at schools slightly below your target schools then enjoy your current score and be done with the LSAT!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

This is a really great score; I'd vote for staying in the game if you have the time for additional studying. I think it's worth the time investment. You're so close to your goal and persistence pays off.

• RGBeetobeRGBeetobe Alum Member
    142 karma

Thanks everyone! I forgot to mention that this was my second take- I took the LSAT in December when I knew I wasn’t ready just to have a score on record to apply. I’m going to take a break from the LSAT and see how I feel come summer- if I have the willpower then I’ll start studying again. Thanks for the encouraging comments!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Congrats on a good score! I know you dont have a score breakdown but do you believe you had less than perfect logic games? If so, i would totoally retake. 169 is a great score but once you put yourself at 170 plus mark, you set yourself up for a lot money

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Yes, I think you should retake in any case, but especially if logic games wasn't perfect.

Last February I took with a goal of 173 and recieved a 172. I was very happy with it, knew it put me in a solid spot, but knew there was a good chance I could do better if I took a PT the next day and a great chance if I retook after foolproofing Logic Games.

I took a break, foolproofed logic games for about 3 months over the summer along with additional PTs and scored a 180 on the September test. That score has opened up scholarship opportunities in the Top 14 that I likely wouldn't have had in this very competitive cycle with a 173 or 172.

The best thing that could have happened to me was scoring a point lower than my goal. It should relax you to know that you have a very good score in your pocket. You should celebrate for a little while!

But then you should be driven to make sure you fulfill your full potential. The LSAT is too important not to give it one last try. This time it will be stress free. You either do even better or you apply at the start of the cycle with a 169! That lack of stress could help on its own. A couple more months of drilling your weaknesses and PTing with blind review will likely do the rest.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I really think if I were you, I'd retake. There's no harm in it. Even if you didn't study again (not that that's my advice - it isn't haha), your PT average was higher and things might work out in your favor. There is a significant different between even a 169 and 170. And if you scored lower, schools typically only look at your highest score anyway, so there's very little risk.