Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

While waiting for classes to begin in fall...

m.c lshopefulm.c lshopeful Alum Member
edited February 2018 in Law School Admissions 614 karma

What is generally recommended as the best prep for being a 1L?

Should we be resting as much as we can to save energy for the marathon? Should we be reading certain materials in preparation? Is there a benefit to getting any of the books early and familiarizing ourselves with the content?

Assuming you have free time, how would you set yourself up for success as a 1L?

Comments

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

My thoughts might be on learning commonly used terms and an overview of procedures, if this isn't something you already know. I'm looking at going in as an "empty cup", so to speak. I've read some people advising getting caught up on the books, and many swear that you should wait for classes before you waste time and effort on something you wind up not even using in class.
    Definitely following this thread! Would love to see some folks with experience who can answer this.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited February 2018 4423 karma

I don't have experience, but have done some reading on it.

Nearly everyone recommends Getting to Maybe so just reading that a few times might be sort of the most obvious form of prep.

A lot of exams are timed and are based on how many important forks you can hit and correctly apply the facts to so it is also a good idea to get your typing speed up.

Finally, the best way to prepare for law school exams is by taking them. So either getting ahead in your classes during the school year or perhaps one of your classes during the summer and then taking practice exams can give you an edge in knowing what a law school exam is like as you study over the course of the semester. I'm not going to try to focus on learning everything perfectly ahead of time, but just well enough to begin taking practice exams.

I'm going to do these three things over the summer probably using Torts as my class to get ahead in and take practice exams in since I have some experience with them through my Econ major. I figure that if 7 Sage has taught me anything it is that we can prepare for things people think cannot be prepared for.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I would make a student budget if you haven't done this already so you won't be as worried about expenses during the school year.

• lsatstudierlsatstudier Alum Member
    151 karma

bump

• ofili.lillyofili.lilly Free Trial Member
    42 karma

I've gotten a lot of info from Barbri Law Preview. Has anyone had any experience with that course?

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    edited March 2018 3788 karma

Get your resume and cover letter ready because you have to apply to 1L summer internships during late fall/winter time before exams start. Also, you should get your typing speed as fast as possible. Although we learned that correlation isn't causation, the high scoring students tend to be the ones who churn out the most words in the 3 hour duration of the exam.

According to a 1L student who was ranked 1 in his class, he believes 1L prep was crucial to his success. Although he sees 1L as a marathon, he says he used the time before 1L to extend his stamina with studying (he was previously a professional who was putting in 70 hours a week) He states that by the time school gets hectic and busy, the classmates who didn't prepare will be huffing and puffing whereas the other students who prepared like himself wouldn't feel as burned out. We learned that 3 months isn't enough for most to master the LSAT; it isn't that surprising to presume that taking an issue spotting exams is a skill that needs to be built with time.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Have you committed to a school yet? If so, then I'd go on a pretend job hunt to see what places are looking for summer 1Ls in that geographic location and maybe get a list going. And I'd print out the job section from the law school app to have the dates, addresses, and phone numbers easily accessible.

• m.c lshopefulm.c lshopeful Alum Member
    edited March 2018 614 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Have you committed to a school yet? If so, then I'd go on a pretend job hunt to see what places are looking for summer 1Ls in that geographic location and maybe get a list going. And I'd print out the job section from the law school app to have the dates, addresses, and phone numbers easily accessible.

That's the first time i've ever seen this advice... thanks and thanks to all the other posters as well

Edit: Also, thank you to all others who contributed. I am doing many of the things you all suggested.