Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retake in June....but admitted to DePaul?

kH573201kH573201 Alum Member
in General 115 karma

Hey guys!

I was hoping to get some thoughts on this..... I took the Dec. 2017 test and scored a 146... (horrible I know). I'm registered for the June test right now. I did however send out a few apps with that 146 just to see what happened.

Surprisingly, one of the schools I was really interested in, DePaul, admitted me with a little money as an incentive (36k total). DePaul is ranked poorly, but they are one of the few schools with the program I'm interested in (IP with cultural heritage concentration), they have top professors in that specific field, they offer externships in the field, and they have an LLM which I could get in the same 3 years. I've already got an MA in History and I guess I won them over with my dedication to the cultural heritage field....However, that 36k doesn't go very far- I'd still be in the hole 6 figures and with DePaul's stats, maybe without a job at the end.

I really want to start school this upcoming Fall, but I'd go next year if there was an opportunity for more scholarships if I score higher on the LSAT. My gpa isn't very high (3.34), so the LSAT score is really my only shot. Knowing I'm already in at DePaul however is killing my study vibe.

So I'm really curious, what do you all think? Aim for a retake or take the offer and run? Thanks!!!!

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I'd retake.

• noncompoop-1noncompoop-1 Alum Member
    23 karma

Retake, was in a somewhat similar situation and took a few months to study more and retake. I do not regret my decision to postpone that cycle and would do it again if I had to go back.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8700 karma

I'm all in with @10000019 on this one. My vote is to retake.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

How long did you study? I would say retake. The law schools that accept a 140s score arent worth attending

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    How long did you study? I would say retake. The law schools that accept a 140s score arent worth attending

I would disagree in this case with this particular statement, as I know of two successful alum of Depaul specifically and I don't think that they would say that they don't think it was worth attending. Of course, they might just be outliers.

In any case, I agree with the thrust of @westcoastbestcoast, @10000019, and the others have said. It is worth trying to dig into studying and see if you can't seriously improve your score. Debt and job security are very important factors to consider and, in the end, a one year delay is not a big deal. Add to this that it is very, very likely that considered study will raise your score significantly (I couldn't imagine 6 months of dedicated, smart study couldn't land you at least a 6-8 point increase) and you have the makings of what I would consider an easy choice. And this doesn't mean that you can't reapply to Depaul later.

Either way, good luck!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@acsimon said:

@westcoastbestcoast said:

I would disagree in this case with this particular statement, as I know of two successful alum of Depaul specifically and I don't think that they would say that they don't think it was worth attending. Of course, they might just be outliers.

In any case, I agree with the thrust of @westcoastbestcoast, @10000019, and the others have said. It is worth trying to dig into studying and see if you can't seriously improve your score. Debt and job security are very important factors to consider and, in the end, a one year delay is not a big deal. Add to this that it is very, very likely that considered study will raise your score significantly (I couldn't imagine 6 months of dedicated, smart study couldn't land you at least a 6-8 point increase) and you have the makings of what I would consider an easy choice. And this doesn't mean that you can't reapply to Depaul later.

Either way, good luck!

Yes, they probably are outliers as you acknowledge. Depaul has a employment score of 53 percent, which means that you have a little over a coin flip's chance of getting any kind of legal employment. Going to a law school in such case would be an unwise financial decision, barring any unique circumstances like familial ties to a law firm.