Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Re-applying (a case study?)

Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member

Came across this profile on LSN today. A person who was a splitter and applied very end of January and decided to wait and re-apply early (September) the next cycle. Says in his comments that he didn't re-write his PS or submit different LORs. Basically, the exact same app.

Granted, every cycle is a bit different and splitter cycles can always be unpredictable. But super interesting to see the results from a late app to an early app, with the exact same materials.

First cycle: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/4'sup
Second cycle: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/4'sup1

Definitely food for thought for me as I'm contemplating re-applying earlier next year.

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

(Paging @LSATcantwin! Yes, this guy has different numbers. But he's a splitter applying in January vs. September to the exact same schools and getting vastly different results.)

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8694 karma

I've never come across Berkley giving that much.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited March 2018 1804 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:

Maybe he or she won one of those opportunity scholarships... but yeah, definitely the first time I saw something like that too. When I applied, Berkeley gave me close to nada.

8392 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:

It doesn't look like they give it out much, but if you sort by $$ on LSN, there are always a handful between $130k and $165k. Their ABA 509 shows 52 students with more than full tuition - I believe that's for all enrolled students, so that's roughly 17 incoming per year that receive full tuition plus stipend.

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/BerkeleyLawStd509InfoReport2016.pdf

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Oh my goodness. Idk if I could take another cycle of this haha those results are staggeringly different though...hmm

Can I just say, being a splitter SuCkS!

8392 karma

@LSATcantwin At the very least, you can (rightfully!) pin some of your results as just being because of January applications. :)

• OneFortyDotSixOneFortyDotSix Alum Member
    634 karma

As a late-cycle applicant this is very discouraging but also encouraging lol. Thank you for sharing!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Realizw that some law schools including some in t14 require you to submit a new PS when you reapply. I'm not sure what score You had but i do recall it was a decent score. If you left some points on the table, particularly on LG, you should retake and reapply with a new PS. Spivey predicted that the upcoming cycle wont be as competitive as this one, so all the more reaaon to apply aftwr a retake.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    Realizw that some law schools including some in t14 require you to submit a new PS when you reapply.

How "new" does a new PS have to be? My current draft incorporates some new materials but is also substantially (about 60-70%?) based on my earlier PS.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@FixedDice said:

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    Realizw that some law schools including some in t14 require you to submit a new PS when you reapply.

How "new" does a new PS have to be? My current draft incorporates some new materials but is also substantially (about 60-70%?) based on my earlier PS.

I'm not entirely sure. My best guess is that t14 schools, as with other law schools, would want to see an updated PS. As long as you arent reusing the same PS you should be fine.

8392 karma

Yeah if I re-apply, I for sure would plan on doing a new PS. Just interesting that this person didn’t.

If I do re-apply, I’d definitely try again on the LSAT. I’m very happy with my score but I was still improving up until test day so I think I could squeeze out another point or 2. Though I’ve finally gotten out of LSAT mode and the thought of diving back in... Well I’m not excited about that haha.

We’ll see... still waiting to see how my cycle shakes out. 6 schools still that haven’t gotten back to me yet! I would go this fall if I get surprised with a really good offer. Otherwise, I think it’s back to the grindstone for me. ::shudder::

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Yeah if I re-apply, I for sure would plan on doing a new PS. Just interesting that this person didn’t.

If I do re-apply, I’d definitely try again on the LSAT. I’m very happy with my score but I was still improving up until test day so I think I could squeeze out another point or 2. Though I’ve finally gotten out of LSAT mode and the thought of diving back in... Well I’m not excited about that haha.

We’ll see... still waiting to see how my cycle shakes out. 6 schools still that haven’t gotten back to me yet! I would go this fall if I get surprised with a really good offer. Otherwise, I think it’s back to the grindstone for me. ::shudder::

What about UCLA?!

8392 karma

@"surfy surf" said:

@"Leah M B" said:

What about UCLA?!

I would reeeeeally like to go there and they gave me more money than I expected, but not enough for me to commit right now. :-/ I sent in a negotiation email, waiting to hear back. I originally wanted to apply for the achievement fellowship (full tuition!) but missed the December deadline. :( I don’t know! This is all so stressful haha.

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

isn't this all self-reported data?

8392 karma

@StephenASmith said:
    isn't this all self-reported data?

Yes.

(Except for the ABA 509 I linked to above.)

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma

I reapplied with same GPA, LSAT, and general early time frame (applied in September this cycle vs October last cycle). Only thing changed was an extra year of work experience as a CPA. Outright reject at Harvard last cycle but an acceptance this cycle. Don't have a clue.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@"Accounts Playable" said:
    I reapplied with same GPA, LSAT, and general early time frame (applied in September this cycle vs October last cycle). Only thing changed was an extra year of work experience as a CPA. Outright reject at Harvard last cycle but an acceptance this cycle. Don't have a clue.

Adsuriwbfesibawiudw All signs point to apply again next year....but that's another year!

Makes me want to collapse. I've already spent 2 years working toward law school.

Life is hard....

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

@LSATcantwin in the same boat. I have postponed 2 cycles already. Good luck w/ ur decision

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

At the very least reapplying gets your app in early, gives you a year more time out of college, establishes for negotiations that you will walk away if you don't get a good scholarship, and gives you time to write better Why X essays.

I can see why that would help.

8392 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

Adsuriwbfesibawiudw All signs point to apply again next year....but that's another year!

Makes me want to collapse. I've already spent 2 years working toward law school.

Life is hard....

I know.... I haven't spent as long as you, think I started studying for the LSAT a little over a year ago. But this whole process has been so draining. I feel like the last 9 months of my life is just a big, stressful blur. But also, I don't want to sell myself short or take on more debt than necessary, if I could just write a new PS and re-submit in September and have a better outcome. Ugh... so tough.

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

I too decided to reapply next cycle with an improved LSAT and GPA (in final year of undergrad right now).
    Lonely Planet has buy one get one free all their travel guidebooks right now.....So using next year to backpack after applications are in :smiley:

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

Life is hard....

I know.... I haven't spent as long as you, think I started studying for the LSAT a little over a year ago. But this whole process has been so draining. I feel like the last 9 months of my life is just a big, stressful blur. But also, I don't want to sell myself short or take on more debt than necessary, if I could just write a new PS and re-submit in September and have a better outcome. Ugh... so tough.

If the debt is a major concern, I think it is definitely worth it to wait a few more months. If you think you can squeak out another point or so on the LSAT, it might even be worth it to take it again since there are more test dates.
    I am a non-traditional and older applicant like you and I don't think there is ever a need to go immediately. No idea why 22 and 23 year olds feel the need to rush for their JD. Law schools aren't going anywhere and if you get in now you will get in again next time probably with better offers.

Think of it this way... Do you really want to just get it over with and rush it into possible debt because you didn't want to wait another cycle?
    Good to see people have perspective and long term view of this. The 2 year process seems like a long time but you're putting yourself in a much better position for later outcomes.